Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
#484 03/30/01 12:26 PM
Z
Z
Weak transmission/differential - why design a high performance car using the same tranny
that goes onto a 130hp 4 cyl.? Transmissions are not "one size fits all". And it really
should have had a LSD standard, if it was really meant to be a serious performance car.
Ditto with the baffled oil pan (my '88 Mustang GT had one, for Pete's sake!). Okay, what's done is done, but Ford/SVT could (should!) have the guts to stand up and say "okay, we screwed up on these things, and we're going to make it right with our customers. This, of course, would have Dearborn bean-counters jumping out of windows, so I don't expect to see it happening! Look what it took to get them to admit there was a problem with the
Explorers....

The decontenting, and poor assembly and quality of materials. You would think on such a limitied production run, and marketed as possessing "elclusivity and value", a lot more care would have been placed on build quality. My '00 SVT now has 6k miles.... My tranny was replaced at 2500 miles. The screws that hold the passenger airbag hinges weren't even finger tight, and caused an awful rattle from day one. When that was opened to fix it, it was discovered that my airbag had no straps holding it in place - they weren't even there! It was just flopping around in there, and I dread to think what might have happened to my passenger if it had deployed. The weatherstripping around the doors isn't lined up the same way on both sides. SVT fitted special gauges and leather seats... why doesn't my passenger get lumbar support and elec. adjustment, too? Just cutting corners to save a few bucks. Couldn't they have had a run of some better quality dash pieces produced? These low-rent materials were one of the main gripes from both owners and the press. A glovebox light, variable speed intermittant wipers and heated mirrors - some things that could even be had on lesser Contours - were left out, which is unthinkable if you're targeting the likes of
VW, BMW and Audi. Oil pressure and ammeter/volt gauges would have been nice, too... And decontenting the little support brackets for the front spoiler?!? What did that save them, $1.89 or so? It's this kind of piddly, nickel and dime crap that irks owners too, not just the big stuff. Ford's mistake here, as someone pointed out, was thinking SVT buyers were no different in mindset from basic transportation buyers. We are VERY different, and expect much more. Mr Coletti is always going on about how no one area of the car is supposed to stand out, or left lacking. The rental-car interior (apart from the drivers seat) is severely lacking. I would have gladly paid an extra $500-1000 for a quality interior.

Yes, it would be nice if Ford's performance parts division turned out a few pieces for us. And their market would not be limited to just SVT's, either. There are a LOT of
Contour/Mystique owners that would love this, and buy. Just look at all the mods in a lot of the sigs here...

And I don't really care about the merchandise (shirts, hats, mugs, etc.), but I guess it
would be a nice gesture. Not nearly enough, but a nice gesture. Or the magazine, for that
matter - it has shown itself to be nothing more than marketing propaganda up to this point. And it will probably still be available in SVT dealerships because of this. But the magazine and the SVTOA are part of what has cast Ford and SVT in such a bad light in my eyes. I feel like I have been lied to and duped by the "SVT Ownership Experience" that was implied, and in some ways promised. The magazine, discounts, track events and the like were promised to us as benefits of being SVT owners. Now Ford has changed their minds, and we have to pony up
$40/year if we want the things we supposed to get free. Let's face it, despite pleadings to the contrary, SVTOA is just a PR tool Ford has farmed out to an outside party to make us feel better about our purchase, generate excitement and promote sales of future SVT products. If Ford wants to run such a public relations excercise, fine - but we shouldn't have to foot the bill for it. It was also implied that we would be treated well, and have a good "ownership experience" at the dealership, because we were the "special kind of customer that buys an SVT vehicle". This hasn't seemed to be true, either from my experiences, or many that I have read here on CEG. These promises did indeed infulence my decision to buy my SVT. It is this reneging by Ford and SVT that has really put a sour taste in my mouth (and I believe many others here). I love my SVT, but right now I'm not so crazy about the company that sold it to me. I hope to drive it for years (if it holds together - I won't baby it!) to come. But unless something drastic is done by you guys, I will NOT be replacing it with another Ford.
Thanks for listening. I doubt that Ford will do anything, but thanks for listening.

------------------
Zilla
2K SVT Contour
#1441 of 2150 - D.O.B. 1/11/2000
green/tan
-= everything on it =-

[This message has been edited by Zilla (edited March 30, 2001).]

ZillaŠ
2K SVT Contour
#1441 of 2150 - D.O.B. 1/11/2000
green/tan
-= everything on it =-
#485 03/30/01 01:11 PM
S
S
I have a 98. I have not had the problems that others have had. I have had a wonderful experience with my car and would not trade it for anything short of a M3 or S4. However I do have issues with the paint on my car. A lot of people do. I wash my car once a week and follow some pretty grueling stuff to keep my car looking good. But it is tough to fight an up hill battle. Good job on a great sleeper. But it shouldn't stop at the point I drove off the lot. I called for my certificate but no word and the second time I called I was told that because I bought it used I couldn't get anything. Any help my VIN is:

1FAFP68G1WK183003

Any help that you can give would be great. This is the way that I look at it. I could have bought a Cobra. I could have bought a Z-28. I could have bought a slightly used BMW(maybe not an M3 but) Yet I found out what a great car the Contour is and I am proud of it, don't you think you guys could be the same way.

------------------
Mike C.
1998 T-red SVT
Bnoon HVAC
Three gauge Pillar

Mike C.
1998 T-red SVT
Bnoon HVAC
Three gauge Pillar
#486 03/30/01 02:33 PM
C
C
I love this car BUT...

1) Poor shift quality even after tranny replacement and new gold synth fluid. Weak diff and lack of a limited slip. The damn SVT Focus got a different gearbox - why not the SVT Contour!

2) Oil starvation problem has stopped me from taking my car out lapping at the track and even taking it fairly easy on highway ramps! This fix should have been done at the factory before the car shipped. The lessons of the Bonderant school seem to have been ignored.

3) Decontenting and SVT should have been given more special driver oriented features, like extra guage package a la SVT Focus.

4) New SVT Focus ignore the fact that some of us need a 4 door sport sedan. There is nothing you currently produce that I can consider as a replacement. Bring us the new Mondeo in SVT trim! Otherwise my next car will be BMW, Audi, Lexus, even if I can only afford used.

The SVT vehicles should be considered brand flagships like the M cars or AMG.

// Chris Root
// '99 SVT

[This message has been edited by Chris Root (edited March 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Root (edited March 30, 2001).]

#487 03/30/01 02:41 PM
S
S
Thank you, Troy, for taking the time to read these things.

I own a 99SVT, #2725 of 2760, 18,000 kilometres on the odometer.

More often than not, I cannot engage first gear or reverse without pushing so hard on the lever I fear something will snap.

On the highway, fifty per cent of the time, I have to force the lever into fifth.

The dealer has changed the transmission fluid, with no appreciable improvement. I am told "they all do that."

Twice, while rounding long, sweeping highway curves, the oil warning light has come on. I keep my fingers crossed that no permanent damage has been done.

These are obviously major design flaws.

The engine lubrication system is inadequate, and SVT has mated a very weak transmission to a very strong engine.

I can live with the squeaks and rattles; it's not a BMW, and I did not pay a BMW price, but I do expect a car marketed as a performance sedan to be able to tolerate being driven like one without breaking.

It seems SVT ran out of time or interest in the project when it came to details like choosing a suitable transmission or ensuring adequate lubrication for what is otherwise a delightful motor.

For those reasons, I would consider the SVT Contour project a failure, and my decision to purchase one a costly mistake.

I really do not see Ford offering to install upgraded transmissions or oil pans in our cars, and I cannot imagine any other solution.

Sorry....mostly for me.

------------------
Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
#488 03/30/01 02:43 PM
B
B
ditto to what the others have said, mainly on the fixes for the mechanical problems that are so well known.

One thing that I want to hear an explanation on is the new SVT service policy that I saw in the last Enthusiast Mag that I'll ever get. Why is it that, if SVT and Ford think that SVT owners deserve a free loaner for life and all that other stuff, why is it only 2001 and later owners that are worthy? Seems to me that if the 2001 Focus is worth it, why isn't a 2000 Contour? I imagine the other types of SVT owners would be even more pissed, if a 2001 Lightning gets it, why wouldn't a 2000?

That exact service program is the kind of thing that Ford and SVT should have had from the very start, along with a lenient approach to modifications and warranty voiding. For chissakes their TUNER cars, people are bound to TUNE them! We shouldn't get hassled because we have an open-air filter on it when we take them in.

Thanks for the time and interest, hope some of this is making an impression.

#489 03/30/01 02:44 PM
J
J
Addendum:

I've the same tranny concerns that have been voiced here, ad nauseum. There's a reason they've been going south faster than a drug dealer with a warrant out on him, and there's a fix, too (call Quaiffe on the details).

I just wanted my voice heard on the transmission issue as well, since my Contour SVT will be going BACK into the shop for transmission issues in the next couple of weeks.

My mail is in my sig if you would like to contact me further.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

------------------
James Tompkins
Tulsa, OK
jaysek@home.com

99 Red Rocket SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste

00 Corvette Coupe
Modded to Haste

JaTo
Overland Park, KS
JaTo@kc.rr.com

99 Contour SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste

00 Corvette Coupe
Modded to Haste
#490 03/30/01 03:05 PM
W
W
Quote:
by journie:
I hope you guys know this TROY GUY is a joke/troll!
Come on think about it,do you think SVT just thought they would post here for no reason,and for a dead car?
Come on guys someone is just hyping us up for another let down.I wouldnt go for it If i was you.
Let him prove himself first before he wasts our time and gets our hopes up!
Im sure its one of those past trolls we pissed off by pissing on there "i beat an SVT Contour" stories.
Hey Troy prove to me your from SVT headquarters and Ill appologize.

TROY IS NOT A TROLL!!!
Troy does work for SVT! I spent enough time on the phone with SVT yesterday and through many e-mails with SVT to know who Troy is and I am 100% sure that he isn't a fake!!
-Mark

------------------
What do you see? Look Again. Do you see
Persaverance? Substance? Odds being trampled? Perspectives changing? Rules collapsing? Meaning? Look Again.
If all you see is a car...
Look Again

1998 SVT Contour.
Silver Frost
Mondeo Badges, KKM, OMP Cast Aluminum Pedals, Eibach Suspension, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust w/ 4-1/2" Stainless Steel Vibrant Tips (non-resonated single wall "Dragger Style" Tips), No resonator, Knauberized, B&M Pro Edge Shifter, Brembo Rotors, KVR Carbon Fibre pads, MSD Ignition, Vortech S/C, Hybrid Front Subrame & Suspension and more...
SVT/SHO Society of West
Michigan SouthWest Rep.
GTExtreme1@aol.com

You can do something for Love...
You can do something for Money...
But there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of Spite.
GTExtreme1@aol.com
#491 03/30/01 03:09 PM
F
F
Although I am not saying anything new here, I want Troy to be aware of as many of us as possible. Anyone with an SVT who is reading this thread should be counted. My concerns mirror those of the others. Here is the order of importance to me personally:

[*]tranny
    [*]water pump
    [*]oil pan
    [*]rear bumper sag
    [*]lack of merchandise support

Troy, I appreciate you coming here and letting us rant. I hope that this produces some valuable results. We LOVE our cars, that's why we're all here. Could you please give us a direct email address so that we can contact you with personal situations and to alieve concerns that you are a troll. Thanks.

------------------
Ben
Castle Rock, CO
1998 T-Red SVT #4406/6535
fast80svt@myfirstlink.net

Ben
1998 T-Red SVT #4406/6535
Email: bbribach@lpsd.k12.co.us
Help the CEG fight cancer: Click Here
#492 03/30/01 03:23 PM
B
B
well, just about everything that one could possibly take issue with regarding ford/SVT vs. SVT contour owners/CEG members has already been raised, but.....

i love the car, love the exclusivity, love the performance, the looks, etc.....but i HATE the rattles, squeaks, decontenting, etc. i agree w/ above posts about being somewhat sickened by the level of support the focus is receiving as compared to what the contour got, but it's understandable....ya gotta hype stuff to sell it to the import/hot hatch crowd. if it ain't honda/mitsubishi/etc., they're not gonna look at it. ergo, the media push.

water under the bridge, as far as i'm concerned. as are the added features of the focus (17" wheels, 6-speed, extra gauges, etc.). that stuff would've been nice to have, but i certainly don't expect ford/SVT to go back and retroactively try to appease we SVT contour owners w/ tranny upgrades/diff ugrades/baffeled oil pans, etc. would be nice, but i don't expect it.

i'm concerned about longevity of my car. i bought the ESP premium care warranty and haven't used it yet (i'm at 43k mi.), but it wouldn't surprise me at all, based on the experiences of others, to have a tranny, diff, or entire engine replaced before it expires at 75k.

i'm also VERY concerned about a replacement car. as others have stated, the focus SVT is a great little car, but i've graduated past the point in my life where i can make do w/ an econo-class-size car as my primary daily driver. performance and other appeal aside, the focus just won't suit my needs. i might get a cobra or a bullitt mustang, but i have to say that my faith in ford reliability/build quality is not very strong. thus, unless ford comes out w/ something (like the new mondeo) in the near future, i'll probably be trading my car on a 3-series BMW, lexus IS, or audi A4.

i do *sincerely* appreciate and applaud your visit here. oh, and journie - shut up. quit w/ the "troll!" crap. everyone around here is so quick to pull the trigger. give it a rest already.

anyway, thanks for your input and your willingness to subject yourself to some of our rants and raves, and i hope our input and insight give you something to take to the rest of SVT and maybe make use of it somehow.

------------------
blake
98.5 E1 SVT #4910, silver frost (b. 02.28.98)
- KKM/SHOshop pulleys/borla exhaust
- 35% tint/momo shift knob/A6 sidemarkers/some audio

blake
02 acura RSX type S, arctic blue pearl/ebony
- OEM fogs, S2k shift knob, 35% formula one tint, injen SRI
62 chevy C10 fleetside pickup, tan
- stock I-6, 3-on-the-tree, currently immobile in my garage
former owner of:
98.5 E1 SVT #4910, silver frost
#493 03/30/01 03:35 PM
M
M
Hey Troy !!!!!!! Your a great guy!!! I am sure we all greatly appreciate you concern with the most respect.....

LISTEN HERE ok I personaly Like the Cobra and Lightning alot !!! But in my mind they are just apples and oranges, if you will...

Think about this , those two have been around for awhile. They have been know as fords fast vehicle's. Focus on the other hand hasnt been around for awhile So people dont really know what to expect from it anyway. NOW THINK OF THIS YOU HAVE TAKEN MOMMY + DADDY'S, OR GRANDMA + GRANDPA'S CONTOUR, AND TURNED THAT THING WHICH EVERYBODY SEES AS A FAMILY SLOW NON-PERFORMANCE CAR, INTO THE BADDEST , SLICKEST PIECE OF ALL AROUND MACHINERY( all cars have their own ups and downs) THAT THE YOUNG BUYING CROWD CAN BUY... I LIKE TO THINK OF IT THIS WAY AD A LIL DOSE OF "SVT" AND BOTTA BOOM BOTTA BING YOU GOTTA PERFORMANCE MACHINE!!!!! I KNOW FOR FACT WHEN I START TO IMPRESS THE OLDER CROWD WITH MY 2000 CONTOUR SVT THAT THERE IS TRUELY SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY ABOUT IT...(the Contour would not be apples or oranges it would be a Lemon if you taste what im givin you)I see fast mustangs all the time, doesnt everyone. The lightning well we all love it those are still a sight to want to see. Take advantage of the "SVT" power it still has and build a family with respect and continue to build a name that will be acknowledged as a beautiful thing and not just soem cheap A!! way of selling a car like Chrysler and their "RT" , hahhahhahhaaa OMG LMAO they are a joke except for the dakota, which is living up to it old name .

2000 Silver Bluish SVT
#1000 out of 2150
Mods Yes , tell you, NO.., sorry

2000 Contour SVT
#1000 0f 2150
Built on 12-17-99, In Kansas City
Custom Painted, "LOOK DEEP THE DIFFERENCE IS WITHIN" -Custom dual pod- indiglo gauges- no res.-KKM intake- Bad A!! NEW Alpine Head Unit-tinted windows- rain visors-the good stuff still to come- !!!!
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard