Hi JaTo..

Originally posted by JaTo:
I'll try not to write a novel on this, as I'm no expert at all, but this is a subject I've broached with a number of other people that are in the know, and I've done a fair amount of research myself on this subject.

Thanks for taking the time!

3) Operating Temp - Another area I'm shaky on, but the bigger the rotor, the better the heat sink it is. Running bigger rotors that are cross-drilled can adversely affect your breaking distances, due to the cooling effect that it has upon the rotors.

This is the only part I'll disagree with - I don't think the holes really do much, cooling wise...

Most (all?) of the rotors we're talking about are internally vaned, like this StopTech AeroRotor (from StopTech FAQ 18: Fixed vs. Floating Rotors). Air flowing through these vanes, from the rotor hub, to the outer rim of the rotor is what does most of the cooling. To my mind, drilling holes in these vanes will a) reduce the weight of the rotor, therefore reducing it's total thermal capacity and b) reduce the efficiency of the air pump that the vanes create.

This Corner-Carvers thread, Brake Cooling, where to introduce the ducted air? talks about this, and includes some details on these really nice brake duct bits: RoushGTR's Brake Duct, Photo 1 .

Almost makes me wish I had a Mustang

Brake Duct
Performance-wise, I just don't think it lives up to the hype. The do look great, though.

Nice wrap-up!

Cheers,
--
Terry McG