Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Don't the Lincoln LS engines have an intake manifold/throttle body that points to the front of the engine instead of the rear, like in the transverse mount?

Last edited by TorsenRick; 07/31/03 12:35 PM.

Rick Barnes '66 Ford Ranchero '84 Ford EXP Turbo Coupe '88 Mazda 323 GTX '88 Mazda 323 SE/GT hybrid '93 Ford Aerostar XLT AWD '99 Ford Contour SVT
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by rftour:
a guy came in to buy an oil filter for a tour and was asked what engine he said either a 5.7 or 5.9 v8 and the car was rear wheel drive it was a limited production to 300 cars in the world and this was an FBI car
so i guess the feds are getting the good [censored]. and from what i understand it looks like a stock contour
talk about a sleeper

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Diesel owns you
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by insayne_kokane:
hey, just an added note.... i was searching on ebay.co.uk for mondeo stuff to stick on my car, and i found a 1995 mondeo toy car that was modeled after a prototype V-8 mondeo from ford.

according to the guy, i guess they were planning to put a V-8 in the mondeo and race it or something, but scrapped the idea..... maybe someone on fordmondeo.org knows something about this "prototype"

dunno what V-8 they would have used, being 1995....

here's the link to the toy car.... if it's true, someone should know about it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3540450962&category=223

EDIT: oh, and i'm staring at the pic for the car, and it's a LHD mondeo, maybe from germany???

I think he's full of crap. It looks like the "standard" STW (Super Touren Wagen) Mondy with no stickers. Like maybe he got hold of one before it was finished? (I have the Asch #17 car..., and yes, it was a German race series.)

I guess the real question is whether Ford ever tested a V-8 in the Mondy. I have to agree, in 1995, what V-8 would it have been?

We know they tested a de-stroked 2.0L Duratec, I believe for the BTCC but found it wanting.

V-8? You're right. I think we'd have heard about it by now.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
?
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
?
Originally posted by TorsenRick:
Don't the Lincoln LS engines have an intake manifold/throttle body that points to the front of the engine instead of the rear, like in the transverse mount?

What's wrong with that? The new Mondeo and Jag X-type's TB are facing backwards. The Jag S-type V8 intake faces forward, which would be bad for the placement of the top motor mount. The XJ and XK series have their's on the rear, but facing straight up. The LS intake seems to be the best choice, IMHO.

Suck it Trebek! And by Trebek I mean Seaegee!
M
M
Never heared about a V8 in a Mondeo for any Racing Series here in Germany except the new V8-Star, but there are 4WD-Mondeos in Germany. Not many of them, but they exist!

-- Mudge Mondeo MK2 ST200 Estate (07/2000) - Ford Racing Blue Metallic Mondeo MK1 concept 1.8 Estate (10/1995) - Dark Aubergine Metallic
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
according to my friends ford cd, the v8 out of the lincon continental (which is transverse mounted) should fit, the engine bays are roughly the same size (radiator to firewall and strut tower to strut tower... ditch the battery and dump the washer reservoir and move the brake reservoir etc and it could work... stronger transaxle too

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by RogerB:

We know they tested a de-stroked 2.0L Duratec, I believe for the BTCC but found it wanting.

Correction - they RACED a 2L duratec V6 - it was BTCC max displacment that spawned that bugger. And "found it wanting"????? - yeah - sure

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Speed Demon:
according to my friends ford cd, the v8 out of the lincon continental (which is transverse mounted) should fit, the engine bays are roughly the same size (radiator to firewall and strut tower to strut tower... ditch the battery and dump the washer reservoir and move the brake reservoir etc and it could work... stronger transaxle too

If you park a Continental next to a Contour with the hoods open (I have), you can easily see that the Continental engine bay is wider. My observation is that there is room for the V8 engine, but not room for both the V8 engine and a transmission.

But what the heck, if you can find a shoehorn that will do the job, more power too you. The car will look a little silly though with the tires sticking way out of the front fenders because there is no longer room under the wheel wells.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
Many times in the past some poor newbie hops in here and says something like, "Hey! Can I put the SHO V8 in my Contour???" That question soon followed by a resounding, "You're a f00king moron! It can NEVER BE DONE!!"

Well, I went on a little fact finding mission today while I was "oot and aboot".

I measured both engines from my Contour V6 and my Lincoln LS8. Here's what I found:

-Duratec V6 24" X 24" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

-Lincoln V8 26" X 26" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

So what does this mean? If you can spare 1" between the engine and the firewall, 1" between the engine and the radiator, and two inches between the crank pulley and the fender, it should fit. This, of course, if a custom fabricated engine mount(s) was made. Nothing a big block of steel and a grinder couldn't fix.

This also means the fancy 4.0L 282HP Jag engine with VCT will act the same, too.

Deep thawts.

Is this because of my RECENT post in the 3.0 L section? I DO have the money for something like this (well, maybe, depends on how much it REALLY ends up costing) so that's why I asked, and I'm not THAT NEW! Pffft!

00SEMTXMeshgrill,KKM&K&N,Fogsmodded,17"MotegiFF5's,SilverELgauges,BlueLEDinterior,Knaubered Trubendzw/magnaflowhttp://www.sl33stak.com FSVT Smart pump
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Horse:
Originally posted by RogerB:

Correction - they RACED a 2L duratec V6 - it was BTCC max displacment that spawned that bugger. And "found it wanting"????? - yeah - sure

In the early racing series, they tried taking a 2.5L and destroking it to 2.0, and yes it was because of the rules limitations. They tried a few different head configurations but could not get enough hp out of it as a 2.0 to be competitive. They ended up using another rule about "corporate family" to put a Mazda powerplant under the hood, with which they had greater success. I'm not sure if this carried over to the later BTCC seasons, or not, or if the 2.0L Duratec of which you speak might have happened later, if at all. At any rate, I have the technical article that they wrote about their little experiment, or at least I used to have it as a pdf, and it was posted on CEG a long time back. I'll see if I can find it in the archives.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard