Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
FWIW, I just got of the phone with Terry H. He is putting LS engines in Contours.

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Terry is installing LS-6 motors.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
so...roughly how much will a jag motor and ECU cost? after i am out of school i will be able to save money again. will the cost leave me with the question of 3.5 and house or v8 and refrigerator box?

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I would think the V8 would be cheaper than the sho shop 3.5. Plus it is an 8. The deep exhaust sound of a cobra or trans am in a contique

I am willing to donate my car as the test car...It wouldn't be til next year til I have this amount of cash on hand however. I would need plenty of help from people to work on it though, since I don't know hardly anything about engines besides basics. The most intensive thing I have ever done to a car is to replace my intake, which I did last week.

But can someone figure out what the cost of the jag V8 and the Lincoln V8 will be? Anyway to hybrid one of those to get more power than the stock engine?

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would rally like to see how you make a V8 fit. I really don't think there is room for this to be practical.

Given enough money and sufficient lack of common sense, a way could be found, but I don't know how much of a Contour you would have left.

This sort of reminds me of the guy that in the late 60's had a Chevelle running around Bakersfield with an Allison aircraft V12 installed in it. The engine took up so much room that the driver had to sit it what was once the back seat. When he could get the tires to hook up, it really screamed.

You could also do what a few have done in the past and just install a second engine. This has been done on cars a little as a Mini Cooper (Twini Mini) and as big as a Cadillac. One engine in front, and another engine in the rear.

I like a lot of engine as much as the next guy (or maybe more), but if it is to be a daily driver, you need to stop short of turning it into drag strip funny car.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
In reply to:

Many times in the past some poor newbie hops in here and says something like, "Hey! Can I put the SHO V8 in my Contour???" That question soon followed by a resounding, "You're a f00king moron! It can NEVER BE DONE!!"

Well, I went on a little fact finding mission today while I was "oot and aboot".

I measured both engines from my Contour V6 and my Lincoln LS8. Here's what I found:

-Duratec V6 24" X 24" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

-Lincoln V8 26" X 26" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

So what does this mean? If you can spare 1" between the engine and the firewall, 1" between the engine and the radiator, and two inches between the crank pulley and the fender, it should fit. This, of course, if a custom fabricated engine mount(s) was made. Nothing a big block of steel and a grinder couldn't fix.

This also means the fancy 4.0L 282HP Jag engine with VCT will act the same, too.

Deep thawts.

did you even read the first post? only 2 inches longer in each direction. that is NOT a lot bigger.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
Many times in the past some poor newbie hops in here and says something like, "Hey! Can I put the SHO V8 in my Contour???" That question soon followed by a resounding, "You're a f00king moron! It can NEVER BE DONE!!"

Well, I went on a little fact finding mission today while I was "oot and aboot".

I measured both engines from my Contour V6 and my Lincoln LS8. Here's what I found:

-Duratec V6 24" X 24" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

-Lincoln V8 26" X 26" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

So what does this mean? If you can spare 1" between the engine and the firewall, 1" between the engine and the radiator, and two inches between the crank pulley and the fender, it should fit. This, of course, if a custom fabricated engine mount(s) was made. Nothing a big block of steel and a grinder couldn't fix.

This also means the fancy 4.0L 282HP Jag engine with VCT will act the same, too.

Deep thawts.

I saw a V-8 powered Focus on NOPI's car show on ESPN last Saturday. So it definitely can be done to a Contour, regardless of what the nay-sayers say. Remember, if it wasn't for someone who WANTED something, we'd still believe the world was flat, that man could never fly and cars would NEVER go more than 200 mph in the quarter mile. People who say "it can't be done" are people who for them, it can't be. Because they can do NOTHING. Good post amigo, I love a person with vision and with a dream, Ken

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
ok you can find lincoln engines for like 1000 bucks on car-parts.com, so what else will you need beside the engine? Obviously this wouldn't be a hybrid, at least this is what I am thinking. I know custom made motor mounts would be needed. How much would a new LS8 engine or this jaq engine run?

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
What about the weight at the front end?

Sure, it's run the 1/4 mile nicely, but if you needed to turn a corner.....QE2 like handling......

2005 BA2 "Velocity Blue" Falcon XR6 Turbo http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/xr6turbo3.html
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
In reply to:

What about the weight at the front end?

uhh, asked and answered already buddy. does anyone read what was already written before asking something?????

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard