Originally posted by TheMark:
Just a recommendation on the helmets... Look for a helmet that is Snell approved. The majority of motorcycle helmets are DoT approved, but not Snell approved. This is because the Snell helmets go through a much more rigorous testing procedure. Additionally, Snell approval is required in SCCA racing, so if you are looking at running outside the Arizona club you might want to take that into consideration as well.

Personally, I am partial to full-face helmets. Now, I do come from a motorcycling background, so perhaps this comes into play, and I am real big on safety. Bear in mind that you are travelling at 100+ mph... with other people on track with you, should something go awry, I would want all the protection I could get. Comfort should be a factor, yes, but you can get comfortable full-face helmets, too. They do make open-face Snell-approved helmets, so if you want to go that route (and many people do) it is open to you.

Best of luck, and have a blast out there.

What he means is to look for Snell SA (special applications) 95 or better. I think the ruling is "current standard minus 2." Or, in other words, if the current Snell standard is "SA2000" you would be legal to wear something as old as SA90, but realize that if there is an SA05 forthcoming, the SA90 will obsolesce fairly quickly.

There are many types of SCCA and non-SCCA events that will accept Motorcycle certifications, or "M"-class (M95, M2000, etc.). These helmets are almost always cheaper, but check your rule book to see if they are allowed. These are fine for Solo II, and some high-performance car clinic type events where you are alone on the track. Depends on the organizers.

The difference? SA helmets are designed to hold up under multiple impacts (such as during a high speed multiple rollover), and they are lined with a fire retardant material like nomex. They also are allowed to have a smaller facial opening than the M helmets.

I also picked up a full-face helmet, even though my only game right now is Solo II in a closed-cockpit sedan. Just a little more insurance against steering wheel incursions into the facial area. AGX, M95 helmet for $65 shipped.

Does spending more protect your head better? To a point, but most of the cost difference, once you've satisfied the basic protective requirements, go into features like light weight (re, exotic materials), ventilation, and "comfort" materials like removable coolmax liners. (My $.02)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998