Print Thread
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
#468584 11/05/02 07:15 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Blackie:
Please for the sake of everybody driving Zetecs, don't try to make a Zetec contour out to be something it's not...and don't challenge a car that is over 2 seconds quicker than you to a race for the sake of Zetec pride. Joe you've done a nice job with your Zetec, two thumbs up, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell you'd stand up to a equally prepped SVT. Reality!

Your last post sounds almost like ricer, Hondababble. "My VTEC can whup your GT Rustang..."

Did I say I would win???? answer NO... all I said is you would be suprised as to how well I would keep up... granted where I lack the HP he does I would fall behind then I have seen many a SVT running the same and slower 60's as me and you say equally preped.... so where do I send my Zetec contour to get the SVT team too tweak it for me??? and besides there are alot more Zetec after market parts than there are duratec parts too. but if you want to go with the equal thing OK new SVT lets just say $20k new Zetec $13k you know what I could get for my car for $7,000??? I do and I bet there isn't a snow balls chance in hell any SVT would be within site if me.... all I will say is COSSWORTH... yes I know the prices are not 100% accurate cause I know the SVT's were over 20 and I also know of a few Zetecs that were more and less than 13.

2003 Subaru WRX some mods Even if you don't have the answer, you certainly have to admire the problem. aka ZetecRacing
#468585 11/05/02 07:34 AM
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, I payed $2800 for my thunderbird, that leaves me $10000 to put into it...it'll run low 9's for that kind of money...but in reality, that money game doesnt work...If all the zetec contour owners had the $7000 they saved over a SVT in their pocket, somebody woulda stepped up and got a turbo by now. Truth is, if you had the extra $7000 when you bought the car, you would probably have an SVT rather than the base model.

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
#468586 11/05/02 07:35 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Ok, I payed $2800 for my thunderbird, that leaves me $10000 to put into it...it'll run low 9's for that kind of money...but in reality, that money game doesnt work...If all the zetec contour owners had the $7000 they saved over a SVT in their pocket, somebody woulda stepped up and got a turbo by now. Truth is, if you had the extra $7000 when you bought the car, you would probably have an SVT rather than the base model.
I don't want a SVT...just the body kit.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#468587 11/05/02 07:59 AM
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Well what I see here is people comparing cars that run low 17's stock to cars that run low 15's stock. It'd take an excellent Zetec driver and a complete n00b in the SVT to even be a contest; stock vs stock.

Don't mean to step on any toes (or egos) but high 16's doesn't usualy command a whole lot of respect...though it does put us in a nice class of cars: V6 automatic Camaro, 1990 Z24 Cavalier, 1991 Baretta, 1993 Dodge Colt, 1992 Dodge Spirit, 1992 Geo Prisim, and a 4500# Issusu Trooper...

#468588 11/05/02 09:44 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S

I could of gotten an SVT but I didn't want one...the insurance differeances from my Zetec to the SVT was not worth it in my opinion. too bad my base model has never had a motor blow up or a water pump fail at 40k miles.... guess I should of spent that extra money for all that added fun

2003 Subaru WRX some mods Even if you don't have the answer, you certainly have to admire the problem. aka ZetecRacing
#468589 11/05/02 09:50 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Well what I see here is people comparing cars that run low 17's stock to cars that run low 15's stock. It'd take an excellent Zetec driver and a complete n00b in the SVT to even be a contest; stock vs stock.

Don't mean to step on any toes (or egos) but high 16's doesn't usualy command a whole lot of respect...though it does put us in a nice class of cars: V6 automatic Camaro, 1990 Z24 Cavalier, 1991 Baretta, 1993 Dodge Colt, 1992 Dodge Spirit, 1992 Geo Prisim, and a 4500# Issusu Trooper...

odd my MTX didn't run low 17's stock it was mid to high 17's stock.
I have NEVER seen a stock SVT do low 15's at Route 66 where I race.... even modded ones I haven't seen the do that. all I've seen from the SVT's at 66 have been mid to high 15's but I have seen a MTX SE do low 15's there. and for those who don't know route 66 is a NHRA track not some mom and pop track.

#468590 11/05/02 02:23 PM
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Well that's odd...my first run was a 17.2 @ 79.85 @ National Trails Raceway in Columbus. I was so embarassed that my car was that slow so I never posted the times on here . But if yours was high 17's stock, I guess that makes me feel a bit better . After that day, I gave up on racing my Contour and went back to working on my Thunderbird.

#468591 11/05/02 04:22 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I'm not even sure where this thread is going now

Anyway, Sleeper - your OFF bottle times seem much more realistic now than they were before. Good job. I'm not going to debate the N20 runs because a witness spoke up earlier in this thread.

HOWEVER, this is for Blackie: Big friggin' deal if these guys are trying to "prove" themselves. I have some things I want to have done by next Spring so that when myself and Po-Jay (SVT owner) get on the road courses out here in Phoenix I can maybe - just maybe - stick with him off the straights. Don't come in here and tell people not to try and compete just because you may not see any rationale behind it.

Again I see the money issue coming up, as well. Why does that seem to come up when Zetec owners are mentioned? Does Zetec = dirt poor or something? You're right, no one that I know of has the t/c on their Zetec. But you can't rule it out as not happening soon.

We all have some aspirations when it comes to our cars. I want to eventually squeak past SVTs (not entirely impossible), Sleeper wants to have the fastest official Contour 1/4 time, ZetecRacing wants to have all posts contain no punctuation, etc. Competition is what keeps being an enthusiast fun. I could buy an SVT when this car is paid off in a few months (and I might) but that allure of doing something off-the-wall is what will keep the Zetec in my driveway.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
#468592 11/05/02 05:00 PM
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L

#468593 11/05/02 05:00 PM
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Originally posted by D Davis:
HOWEVER, this is for Blackie: Big friggin' deal if these guys are trying to "prove" themselves. I have some things I want to have done by next Spring so that when myself and Po-Jay (SVT owner) get on the road courses out here in Phoenix I can maybe - just maybe - stick with him off the straights. Don't come in here and tell people not to try and compete just because you may not see any rationale behind it.

I never said not to compete...just don't purposely outclass yourself.

Again I see the money issue coming up, as well. Why does that seem to come up when Zetec owners are mentioned? Does Zetec = dirt poor or something? You're right, no one that I know of has the t/c on their Zetec. But you can't rule it out as not happening soon.

Joe brought up the whole money deal. He made some comment about having an extra $7000 because of not buying a SVT; I was simply pointing out that nobody really has that $7000 in their pockets to drop on mods.

We all have some aspirations when it comes to our cars. I want to eventually squeak past SVTs (not entirely impossible), Sleeper wants to have the fastest official Contour 1/4 time, ZetecRacing wants to have all posts contain no punctuation, etc

It's great to have plans and goals, and I know it's completely possible, but until that happens, some people need to lose the whole "Zetec is better", big headed attitude.
Competition is what keeps being an enthusiast fun. I could buy an SVT when this car is paid off in a few months (and I might) but that allure of doing something off-the-wall is what will keep the Zetec in my driveway.

And doing something different is what makes that competition fun. Making your own intake instead of just buying one; that's what makes it fun. Actually making horsepower from your motor rather than just straping on nitrous; that's what makes it fun. But talking sh*t isn't fun or "enthusiastic" anyone. That's what inspired me to post in this topic in the first place.

The Zetec MTX Contour is a GREAT starting block, for a real fun car. But please don't make it out to be something it's not. A Honda Civic isn't a race car without ALOT of preparation; neither is a MTX Zetec Contour.

Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard