I was thinking more about thins today.... Doesn't the Zetec in the SVT focus have a two stage intake very similar to the intake in the duratech contour? I believe so. That would probably be a good intake setup. The SVT focus headder would probably be inadequate for the motor I think we are talking about building. A full length headder and absent catalytic converter would be the way to go.

I suggested the SVT focus tranny simply for the increased variety of gear ratios. I think I need to put a qualifier on that idea though.... A LSD is more important than more gears. If there is no LSD available for the SVT focus tranny, then stick with the MTX75. I don't think there is an LSD available for the 6 speed currently, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one from somewhere sooner or later.

Unless ford comes out with a high performance zetec block, I would suggest rebuilding a low milage engine (30,000ish miles). That way, the block is "seasoned" the heat cycling has done pretty much all the warping that it will do at that point. You can then have a VERY GOOD ENGINE BUILDER (in my opinion this is key) do a minimal overbore, torque-plate hone the cylinder walls. Also an align hone of the mains is a good idea. All of these will decrease friction. That means more power and.

I was thinking about valve springs again.... I remember you said something about titanium. I think that decision should be reserved until cams are selected. Once you do this, you will basically know wht the redline will be, and can make an informed decision on the valve springs. I did read that titanium springs last 10 times as long as steel springs. Also, they do not "take a set" (tweek themselves to suit a specific installation) like steel springs which could be an advantage in a very high performance motor.

Okay, I'm all thought out on this subject. If only I had some money, I'd be all set.

-FD

1995 Contour SE V6 5 spd