Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#465996 10/29/02 12:02 PM
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I still contest that bridging will dirty up your signal. Feel free to argue but you can't win.

It will double THD to a level that is still not audible, halve the damping factor which is virtually meaningless, and increase the power substantially. I guess I don't see the disadvantage. Go ahead, now its your turn....bring what you've got, because so far it hasn't been much.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
#465997 10/29/02 01:44 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
brrrooommm
brroommmm

and the mental racing match has begun

who will burn out

who will crash out

is this and illegal street racing post?

#465998 10/29/02 04:25 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by contour se driver:
ive got 450 times 2 continuous at home ATI, car audio sucks nuts.

I've got 2x481w rms continuous at 20Hz plus 5x90w rms in my home - big deal. But I spend far more time in my car where it is far more challengine to design a good system.

#465999 10/31/02 05:28 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
40x4 max. It makes it easier when you're too poor to have an amp

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
#466000 11/03/02 08:31 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Sorry to take soo long. I'm not a noob by the way, i just never really post anything. Spending money on hame doesnt make car audio suck. It is the fact that a 5k home setup will most likely sound better then a 10k setup in a car. I recently added basslink to my tour and it sucks nut compared to my home stereo. Yes, i have been spoiled, but i have NEVER heard ANYTHING from car come even close.

I get sick and tired of hearing the shops say "It's the box, it's not tuned" or "this box wasnt built for this sub". I recently listened to a JL audio ws7 whatever one. It's their flat cone that takes almost a 1000 watts. The sales guy told me it was the box that is for that sub. A 1000 dollar sub only sounded like as*. I've heard 8's that drop deaper then that thing. Yup i'm talking about sunfire. Name one sub that will compete with that with amp for the exact same price.

So i say car audio sucks nuts. I've heard the Focal 1000 dollar setup which sounded like as*. With speakers sound like trash, it is really difficult to tell whether the amp, or even head units are sounding like crap. It just amazes me that a person could buy so much cheap wattage and crappy sound that it adds up to more what a decent home stereo could sound like. Oh and dont even mention Mark Levinson in the lexus, a low end cd player from those guys cost 6k alone. Do you really thing they put 20-30k worth of audio in that thing?

So, i say car audio sucks nuts.

#466001 11/03/02 02:26 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R

I get sick and tired of hearing the shops say "It's the box, it's not tuned" or "this box wasnt built for this sub".

This is why i build my own boxes.

Green '99 Contour SE Sport ATX -- wrecked Silver '00 CSVT 3L hybrid Silver '95 Thunderbird "3.8 V6" -- swapped 5.0 from wrecked mustang FREEBIE!!!
#466002 11/03/02 04:13 PM
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
I have built all my own boxes. You can go pretty much all-out on building your own box (just wood), and still stay under $50. I use particle board (MDF not available 'round here) with wood glued butt joints, small corner reinforcements, and double-caulk the insides for the final seal. It's easy! Takes me about 1 day. The only thing I can't seem to master is the outside finish. Carpeting's the easiest by far, but those damn corners always seem to not like me.

I know I'm blabbering, but I just can't get over how shops can charge people $200-$300 for boxes , when if you really think about it, the materials cost about $25-$30. Kind of like CD's, the only cost about $0.10 to make, I heard.

I'll shut up now, sorry guys.

"Bizest" 2000 SVT Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #489
#466003 11/03/02 06:44 PM
D
D
Sorry to take soo long. I'm not a noob by the way, i just never really post anything. Spending money on hame doesnt make car audio suck. It is the fact that a 5k home setup will most likely sound better then a 10k setup in a car. I recently added basslink to my tour and it sucks nut compared to my home stereo. Yes, i have been spoiled, but i have NEVER heard ANYTHING from car come even close.

I get sick and tired of hearing the shops say "It's the box, it's not tuned" or "this box wasnt built for this sub". I recently listened to a JL audio ws7 whatever one. It's their flat cone that takes almost a 1000 watts. The sales guy told me it was the box that is for that sub. A 1000 dollar sub only sounded like as*. I've heard 8's that drop deaper then that thing. Yup i'm talking about sunfire. Name one sub that will compete with that with amp for the exact same price.

So i say car audio sucks nuts. I've heard the Focal 1000 dollar setup which sounded like as*. With speakers sound like trash, it is really difficult to tell whether the amp, or even head units are sounding like crap. It just amazes me that a person could buy so much cheap wattage and crappy sound that it adds up to more what a decent home stereo could sound like. Oh and dont even mention Mark Levinson in the lexus, a low end cd player from those guys cost 6k alone. Do you really thing they put 20-30k worth of audio in that thing?

So, i say car audio sucks nuts.

Congratulations on one of the most incoherent posts ever made in this section. I applaud you on your outstanding effort.

If I followed this post correctly, I believe that you said that a Sunfire 8" sub will outperform a JL Audio W7. To this I say BS. The W7, although a bit too much money, is an absolutely outstanding subwoofer. It has more excursion and MUCH more powerhandling than the Carver, not to mention one of the lowest distortion levels of any sub on the market. With all of that said, it also has almost unmeasureable power compression. The Sunfire was an interesting design to say the least. Carver does have a reputation of doing things different. In this case, he decided to sacrifice effeciency in order to have low bass and small enclosure size (much like nearly every car subwoofer on the market). He made up for the lack of effeciency with a lot of power (the 2500w are greatly exaggerated btw) as bench tests have shown a rating of about 500w.

Did you know that a top end amp manufacture accepted a challenge to try to identify their refereance 30k amplifier against a middle of the road car amplifier? The company would have been able to take home 45k if they could hear the difference. They failed miserably.

Granted the car audio environment is far from ideal, but it is possible to get excellent sound. In your case, you bought a very low end Infinity product and you are dissappointed, and I'm not surprised.

The only thing I can think of that has a bigger markup than high end car audio is audiophool home audio.

Do you also spend a lot on high-end interconnects and speaker wire?

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
#466004 11/04/02 06:35 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
yea but what about the cost of the R/D that was necesary to determine the type of driver to be matched to the kind of box used.

Last edited by contour_phoenix_when; 11/04/02 06:57 PM.
#466005 11/04/02 06:48 PM
D
D
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:
yea bizest but what about the cost of the R/D that was necesary to determine the type of driver to be matched to the kind of box used.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Can you clarify that?

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard