Originally posted by Sandman333:
I

What is involved in replacing this switch? Cost? Special tools? Is there a recall on this (see sig for my vehicle)? If not, there should be, as this could cause a serious fire....

After reading this really fascinating thread, I try to answer your question:

You need to replace the switch and most probably the resistor too. I had to do the resistor only, so I just guess on the switch: it shouldn't be difficult to remove if you've ever done dash work. All you might need is Phillips screwdrivers of various length.

Cost: dunno, should be around $20.

Resistor: it's in the passanger footwell below the glove box, next to some kind of plastic housing (blower ?) It requires some acrobatics and finger skills to remove it, but not too hard.
Was $21 IIRC at the dealer.

By the way, the problem with mines was that the original screws holding the resistor were loose, and the electrical connector could move back and forth a bit. I guess that resulted in sparks one nice day and the thing burnt through.

One local dealership simply refused to do the recall (I was told they examined it and the problem was not related to the resistor or switch - my God, what else is there), the other dealer gave an appointment in 2 weeks. It was less than an hour to do it myself, although this way I had to pay for the part.

Tiv