Originally posted by MarkO:
Originally posted by 7999:
........they built it with very good quality and craftsmanship.

No they didn't. I have replaced the water pump (precautionary), front and rear sway bar links and have to change the handbrake cable on my car. My gearbox is on it's way out. All this with ~54k on the clock. Many other CEG's have hada lot more problems than I.

My previous car had 102k on the clock and apart from oil/filters/plugs/pads/discs required no other repair other than a burst shock from a pothole.

There again, that was a german car, not a UAW hack job.

My Contour has about 100,000 miles with hardly any problems. My sisters Plymouth acclaim had 250,000 miles before the head gasket went bad. When the cylinder head was removed the engine cylinders looked like new (no wear at all). My dad has a 1977 Ford truck with the original engine and clutch. I guess quality must vary.

I buy my cars used and usually pay about $5000 for a 2 or 3 year old car with low miles. I usually keep the car 3 or 4 years and spend very little or nothing for repairs. I would have to spend 2 or 3 times that price for a non domestic car. I might could buy a Yugo or Excel for that price but I don't like the quality of the Yugo or Excel.