Originally posted by Sandman333:
A head gasket isn't a part that should ever wear out on a car. Well, maybe a blown top fuel dragster, but certainly not mom's minivan. I don't care how many miles, it should never break. It was a factory defect, and should have been recalled. How many other consumer products would get away with factory defects like that without being publicly shunned? We buy these vehicles because they are what is available. Well, I'm at the point where I'm going to spend a bit more money for quality (read: German manufacturers). Quality is Job 1? Well, not at Ford it isn't.

Normally, a head gasket SHOULD last on a car, unless you never flush the coolant (like most Americans don't) every 2 years minimum. Antifreeze turns acidic after running for years, and then becomes corrosive. Not saying that's the cause but just saying it doesn't help a head gasket to never change the coolant.
But I DO agree with you on the tranny bug from Ford in your van. That's pretty pathetic that in 5 years they still couldn't fix that bug. They must not feed sufficient R&D money into many of these departments or something? I almost have found with the Contours, that the later ones are built worse and have more bugs in them than earlier ones (due to production cost cutting in the later years), since I see many problems, complaints, and bulletins regarding the '98-on models, and I've had hardly any problems with mine. Mostly just routine maintenance

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s