Originally posted by tboner:
I believe recalls are released typically for safety related items. Such as the wheels will fall off.

I do believe that for mechanical problems, only TSB's are issued. So if there are problems with head gaskets, you won't see a recall, maybe a campaign to extend the warranty such as the fuel flapper valve on some 98+ Contours, but they won't recall the car.

I don't have a problem with cars that break, because stuff breaks. But how does the carmaker and the dealer network stand behind that purchase.

But remember, you and I don't buy cars from Ford, we buy from their dealers. So when you call the Ford Customer Service line you are not really considered Ford's customer, the dealership is.

I suspect that is why you hear so many times, you need to work this out with your dealership.

TB
Thankful I have a good independent mechanic for stuff I can't do.

A head gasket isn't a part that should ever wear out on a car. Well, maybe a blown top fuel dragster, but certainly not mom's minivan. I don't care how many miles, it should never break. It was a factory defect, and should have been recalled. How many other consumer products would get away with factory defects like that without being publicly shunned? We buy these vehicles because they are what is available. Well, I'm at the point where I'm going to spend a bit more money for quality (read: German manufacturers). Quality is Job 1? Well, not at Ford it isn't.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.