All those recalls just go to illustrate my point. Ford quality sucks. In addition, take a look at the 95 3.8L V6 issues (head gaskets). Ford did not bother to notify owners of these vehicles (Taurus, Windstar, and possibly Mustang) that there was a problem with the engine; rather Ford decided to quietly authorize repairs if the vehicle had less than 100,000 miles in order to appease complaints and avoid very bad press.

Well, my 95 Windstar started experiencing symptoms of a very slow coolant loss at 80,000 miles. Because I knew nothing of the problem at the time, and because I have through experience learned not to trust dealerships with my car, I tried to find the leak myself. I never could identify the source. Eventually, at 120,000 miles, the #4 cylinder let go. I was lucky to recognize the white clouds of smoke and burnt brown sugar smell as a blown head gasket and shut the engine down prior to major internal damage. Ford wanted $1700 to repair it. They refused to cover it, even though the parts used were clearly defective when they left the factory. I did it myself for about $400 parts and tools cost (was away from home, and hence my tools, at the time).

Additionally, my 95 had the transaxle replaced under warranty. It would shudder into 2nd gear about 30% of the time. Now my 2000 Windstar, with the same transmission, is doing the same thing. They can't fix this problem in 5 years????? Give me a break.

I am also a police officer. Every Crown Vic I have had as a patrol car has had engine pinging issues, getting worse with age. Eventually, as the car approaches 100,000 miles, it gets so loud as to be embarrassing. The transmission in my 2000 CV PI sucks too. Something is wrong whereby it lurches in first and second gear at anything over 2/3 throttle. It feels as if someone else is mashing the brakes every other second as the car accelerates. (no, it doesn't have traction control)

In short, Ford is becoming nothing but a big dissappointment to its customers. I suspect that Ford will soon have fewer customers to dissappoint, however.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.