My 2.5L bit it after a sharp right hairpin. Oil was 5W30, at the low end before add. Rev's were about 5500 being held through the turn. Low pressure light came on and the revs droped. After that noticed a 'ticking' from the engine, when the engine was turning 2800+ RPM with little load. Changed the oil the next day. Then the day after that, the ticking got louder, then it was knocking, and then the power droped and I started heading for the sholder.
The engine was at 148,000miles- regular oil/filter every 3000-3500 miles. only other failure was the POS waterpump at 115k, impeller cracked in two, right down the center.
I loved my contour but after I bought it in 96 for $23k - optioned out SE - and now I can find them in the paper for $7000, its going to cost me almost as much as the car is worth to fix it. Local shop wanted $6500 to put in new long block,so I got a 60k mile 2.5l from a local yard for $1300, then they wanted $3500 to do the swap for me ?!#* - So now I am putting in the engine, and as soon as I get the engine in- I am seriously looking at getting out of the contour club!

Nothing personal, it's a Ford Thing!

SC- Oly. WA
96 SE 2.5l 5sp
150,000 miles