Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
No offense taken, (!) just didn't see hard numbers on this thread anywhere.
I can see the caliper in use is larger than what I recall from the stock Focus part. That's good. I'll dig out some sizes on what I know tomorrow.
Maybe we can find out the size somewhere. The package certainly looks to fill the wheel quite well and I'm sure this alone will make many people happy.
As an off shoot of this one again, I'd wonder if the Focus has a slightly larger mc in it on the SVT version. That, like the bolt pattern offers me some insight to the Focus package....I'd bet if the calipers you have are in fact larger bores that the Focus has a 25mm on it like your car. The stock Focus is only 15/16 thus has little room for larger calipers.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
That is great...thanks guys! My car is in dire need of new pads and rotors. Looks like this is the upgrade path for me. You guys think about doing a write up or an article to put up on this website?

L8R

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black (Mine) - Winter 3.0 Project 2004 Sentra SE-R SpecV (Wifes) www.SuperHawkForum.com
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
We're just waiting to get all of the install pics together. It's really straight forward but if an article or how to is needed, sure why not.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
In reply to:

Bottom line is they stop alot better than the stock SVT brakes, and they're a cheap upgrade.

Can you explain what you mean by this statement? I like the package aesthetically but am having trouble understanding what performance value it will give me. If you step on an SVT's brakes hard, ABS will kick in. So stopping power is limited at the friction point where the tire meets the road. Perhaps the FSVT brakes feel better? Being larger they should handle repetitive stops better, so I could see their track use. I do plan on getting to Mid Ohio in the spring so less resistance to fade there would be good.

Brian Dors
99 SVT

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
that's because your tires are locking up. In the two years I've had my CSVT I can't remember the ABS kicking in. but if your just slamming your brakes on for shits & giggles I can understand. And used properly, a bigger rotor will give you better stopping power.

Bigger Rotor = More Leverage.

Originally posted by bxd20:
In reply to:

Bottom line is they stop alot better than the stock SVT brakes, and they're a cheap upgrade.

If you step on an SVT's brakes hard, ABS will kick in. Brian Dors
99 SVT

Ryan Trollin!
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
In reply to:

that's because your tires are locking up. In the two years I've had my CSVT I can't remember the ABS kicking in. but if your just slamming your brakes on for shits & giggles I can understand. And used properly, a bigger rotor will give you better stopping power.

Bigger Rotor = More Leverage.

You are spot on, at extreme braking levels the tires are not able to produce enough friction. Either your trained foot is keeping the pedal right at the limit of adhesion, or ABS kicks in and does so to the best of its ability.

With either setup, the coefficient of friction at the tires is the limiter, and thus both setups will achieve the same stopping distances with a skilled driver and brake components that are not overheated.

As the brakes heat up by repeated use the CSVT brakes will start loosing out to the FSVT brakes due to fade.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just bringing some physics into this. I myself will likely do the mod. But for an average driver this upgrade is more cosmetic than anything else. Now I'll admit CEG members aren't average, drive pretty hard, so they may notice the difference during spirited driving or track sessions.

And if you haven't kicked in ABS once in two years, you're not pushing the car very hard. Either that or you are the greatest driver in the world. Even F1 drivers lockup their brakes accidentally, probably more than once a race.

Brian Dors
99 SVT

S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
The main reason why I installed the FSVT system was b/c I could not justify a full blown race-brake kit, for my manly street driven SVT. Plus, my OE calipers were on their way out. My LF was partially seized and was beginning to operate in an unsafe manner. Plus, they weren't much more than a full CSVT system, IIRC.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Sounds like a very smart move to me Chris....

S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by Chris Arslanyan:
The main reason why I installed the FSVT system was b/c I could not justify a full blown race-brake kit, for my manly street driven SVT. Plus, my OE calipers were on their way out. My LF was partially seized and was beginning to operate in an unsafe manner. Plus, they weren't much more than a full CSVT system, IIRC.

Of course I meant mainly, not manly.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
sorry for butting in, bit ot but u guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the focus parts, will stock focus rotors fit my stock se brakes? focus central has some neat slotted / dimpled rotors i'd like to get because mine are warped, now thats driving!! (that and going through 2 sets of pads in less than 20k)

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard