Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
This is big news for me....I have to post because I'm really excited! Chris (my mechanic friend) and I have started putting the car back together. Tonight we got the clutch and transmission stuffed in. The subframe is still on the floor as is most everything else we removed. Tomorrow we're going to do what we can to remember where all of these bolts went! I might have to ask one of you V6 MTX guys to come over to the shop so we can look at your car. The front bumper is still off of the car getting re-painted so it looks like I won't officially be on the road with it until sometime next week. I have to get it registered again as well as an emissions test. There shouldn't be any problems there. In any event I WILL be ready for a fun run on the 26th...is it going to happen or what guys? I'll be keeping you posted!

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
You have my number Mike. If you need to take a look at the car just post here or give me a call. I'm pretty free all weekend.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
if you need to look at a car, PM.. me

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Well, we worked on it again last night for about four hours. The subframe and motor mounts are now all in place, so the engine brace is off. Most of the suspension is hooked up now too. We have figured out where most of the strange looking parts go, so I probably won't need to look at any of your cars now. Thanks for offering though! There is probably four hours of work left MAX, excluding the bumper that is still off the car. It was sprayed black yesterday. As soon as it dries it will be wet-sanded and painted again. I've got to put 500 miles on the Quaife and clutch before I can play, so in about a week I'll be in business!

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Well, the car is almost done...we are at a stopping point though. The connecter on the shift tower is different ('98 Contour VS '02 Focus) so I have to come up with one somehow. I'm sure when I call Terry he'll have a quick solution for that. Hopefully I will be on the road this week!

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Ha! It's running! Turns out the connector is just for the reverse lights and I need a jumper from Ford. Anyone know the part number? It's so nice to be rolling in the SVT again. I can't wait to take a trip in it. The front bumper cover is still off awaiting a wet sand and another coat of paint. The car needs an alignment again too, but I have the Firestone lifetime alignment so that's not a problem. Here's the list of work done:

Rebuilt trans by Haines Motorsports Inc. with new synchros etc.
Updated (2002 Focus) shift tower
Quaife LSD
Centerforce Dual Friction clutch

I have to break in 500 miles then change the fluid. After that it's on!

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Awesome. Been a while, no?

What's better about the updated 2002 Focus shift tower?

- Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Apparently the earlier design is prone to breakage allowing a piece to fall down in the gears. I've read a few posts about grenaded transmissions where a broken shift tower was the culprit. Mine was cracked so I had it replaced. Also, the new shift tower had ball end connections instead of pin type connections. I've been told that ball type are more durable but I don't really know. I can't complain, it shifts! I have some adjustment to do on the new cable ends, but all in all I'm glad I spent the extra $300 for it.

Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Hey, did Terry ever elaborate on what actually happened? Was it the diff? Was there any other fallout?

Glad to see you back up and running...hopefully you can come out and watch some of the guys on PIR on Friday. They will be out there running the big track.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Yes, Terry and I talked about this at length. It was most certainly the diff that broke. I was very lucky not to have broken the case. I had two synchros and blocker rings that Terry swears HAD to have been grinding, but they weren't. I guess I broke it at the right time! On top of all of that, the shifter tower was cracked, which if it would have broken I would have had the famed grenaded MTX-75! All in all I've got generally a new transmission with a Quaife and a 2002 Focus shifter tower. I've only got 100 miles on it right now with no problems. I plan to have it broken in for drags next Friday night and the fun run Saturday. I can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard