Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#455536 11/06/02 08:08 AM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Aren't MAFs "tuned"? If you remove them from their housing doesn't it potentially screw them up?

If you remove the air cleaner housing (which includes the MAF), you can spray some cleaner in there without removing the element at all.

Or am I being overly paranoid?

- Randall

95 Contour LX V6 Pioneer P1R + MB Quart + lots of amps!
#455537 11/06/02 09:14 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
They sensor element is inside the sampling tube and thus protected from direct frontal assault. It's best to pull it out, but it is delicate, so be easy on it.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
#455538 11/09/02 07:29 PM
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
OK...my car is having the same problems most of you here have discussed. It is the 2.5 liter engine. At 100,000 miles I had Ford do a tune-up: they changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, changed coolant, replaced the water pump, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, O2 sensor, idle control valve, and also the MAF sensor (but NOT the plug wires for some reason). All of a sudden my car started the bucking/hesitation/stumbling. I went ahead and replaced the fuel and air filters to see if that helped...it did not. The car only has 130,000 miles on it now - the plugs and sensors should be fine...so, my question is could the PLUG WIRES be the problem? They are 7 years old and have 130,000 miles on them. I admit I know nothing about cars...and this is bugging the piss out of me. I am a senior in college (a.k.a poor) and I need this car to last another 6 months at least until I graduate! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. BTW, the check engine light is NOT on to indicate any emissions/sensor troubles, and the injectors were cleaned during the tune-up also. Thanks!

1995 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 No mods, 130,000 miles Known as the "C-ride" =)
#455539 11/10/02 01:15 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TDawg76:
They are 7 years old and have 130,000 miles on them.
Replace them...and smile when you feel how smooth the engine runs. I believe most people are getting about half that many miles on a set of plug wires.

Last edited by bentleywarren; 11/10/02 01:18 AM.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
#455540 11/10/02 11:59 AM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TDawg76:
OK...my car is having the same problems most of you here have discussed. It is the 2.5 liter engine. At 100,000 miles I had Ford do a tune-up: they changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, changed coolant, replaced the water pump, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, O2 sensor, idle control valve, and also the MAF sensor (but NOT the plug wires for some reason). All of a sudden my car started the bucking/hesitation/stumbling. I went ahead and replaced the fuel and air filters to see if that helped...it did not. The car only has 130,000 miles on it now - the plugs and sensors should be fine...so, my question is could the PLUG WIRES be the problem? They are 7 years old and have 130,000 miles on them. I admit I know nothing about cars...and this is bugging the piss out of me. I am a senior in college (a.k.a poor) and I need this car to last another 6 months at least until I graduate! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. BTW, the check engine light is NOT on to indicate any emissions/sensor troubles, and the injectors were cleaned during the tune-up also. Thanks!

Try copper plugs and see if it solves the problem ($5 from Champion). It did on mine. I truly believe that there is a bad batch of Autolite/Motorcraft plugs out there that is causing all these problems.

- Randall

95 Contour LX V6 Pioneer P1R + MB Quart + lots of amps!
#455541 11/11/02 04:22 PM
E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
I cleaned the MAF (soaked the filaments in a cap full of Gumout carb cleaner), let them dry, reinstalled, reset the computer and went through the learning process posted by mcgainer. Seemed to be awesome--big improvement & more power all around...but then it went quickly back downhill and seems worse than before. Did I do something wrong?

Steve

Steve 98.5 SE V6, Blue, MTX, SVT Exhaust, Knauberized, E1 Wheels, KKM, Kenwood! SOLD!
#455542 11/11/02 04:44 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I pulled my plug wires and guess what? Found one frayed near the boot. Put the Ford 9mms on witht the NGKs...no stumble. For kicks...reinstalled MotorCraft AWSF-32pps...and...still no stumble. So I guess my problem was in pulling the wires off the plugs I exposed some wire and it was short firing into the cylider head.

#455543 11/11/02 08:09 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R

I was able to get a chance to look at the car this weekend and would like to report my findings. Took the MAF apart, by removing the two security star screws, and gave the elements a few shots of throttle body cleaner (Gumout). Make sure you let them dry and watch the O-Ring for proper placement. I had taken the intake hoses off to do this, but it is not neccessary at all. The main reason I took the hoses off was to get easier access to the throttle body.

The TB was very, very dirty being that it has never been cleaned before. Shame, Shame. I have 127,000 on the car now.(Yes I drive a lot) Cleaned the TB out really well using the same cleaner. although I wanted to, I didn't remove it, because the parts shop didn't have a replacement gasket. I was able to hold the butterfly valve open and soak it with the cleaner. Used my finger and a couple brushes to clean it all up. Would be much easier, better, and quicker, to remove it.

Anyway, doing this has semmed to have solved my problem of the stuttering and hesitating around 40-45 MPH under load.

Also bought a new set of Bosch Double Platnums, but I haven't installed them yet. Want to drive it around some more and see if the hesitation problem comes back.

Hope this helps everyone who has this problem.

PS: I replaced the wires about 25,000 miles ago.

99 SE V6 Silver Frost 201,592 Miles (Still Running Well)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard