Craig & Linas, and all others who have participated in the 1st/reverse lock out discussion:
I really appreciate the pioneering work you guys have done. I am just enteriing year three of driving my 99Contour SVT (Green/Tan, #2226 of 2760). I am a former SHO owner/enthusuast who made the switch to the SVT Contour after tiring of the heavier vehicle in city driving (but loved the SHO as a highway cruiser).
I have the 1st/reverse lockout problem and thought I was te only one until I found the ceg site. I have experienced the panic of backing out of an angle park, seeing the traffic coming up behind me, and can't get the car into first gear - or any other gear for that matter. Same thing for a full stop at a red light. My problem -like yours- is annoyingly intermittent, so the sevice guys think I don't know how to drive. One of them reminded me to 'make sure I was pushing the clutch pedal - that's the one on the left- all the way to the floor'.
Metro Ford - the selling dealer, a Calgary SVT dealer- has finally admitted that the 'boys at Ford are aware of the problem but don't have it diagnosed and so cannot offer any fix at this point' This is an interesting response compared to the 'replace the tranny' (or push clutch alll the way in).
I am collecting all the information I can - in particular what you guys are posting, and plan to take it in to the service manager in the next few months well prior to my warranty expiry.
So again, many thanks for the work you have done in posting your problems and progress, in particular to Craig and to Linas.
In every other way this car is outstanding and a sheer delight to drive. What an unfortunate wart on such a fantastic vehicle.
Tim