I replaced my H2O pump 2 weeks ago after failure. I noticed the temp. gauge when it was approaching the L in Normal. Prior to failing I heard a ticking noise similiar to a bad lifter. I figure it was a cracked/bent impeller rubbing on the housing/casting. Like the others, the impeller was shattered. My car is a 95 with 168,500 kms (105,000 mi.) on it at time of failure. I checked the Blue Oval stats and the avg. mileage at failure for 95's was around 50,000. The replacement pump was a TRW piece and yes, it has a plastic impeller. 100,000 miles is normal service life for any H2O pump. There was no engine damage as I caught this problem beforehand (it helps to pay attention to the instrumentation). Changed the oil and coolant and everything is fine now. All those nearby (Oakville, Kitchener, etc.) post your e-mail and I'll help out as best I can.

Technical Director/Co-Owner Performance Fords-check out our new throttle body service
95 SE with lots of custom 1 off mods. All design, fabrication and installation by owner.