Quote from Suburban Ford was a phone quote. They are examining the vehicle right now and are going to give me their own diagnosis.

Not sure if left rear spring is actually broken or just worn out. Dealer service advisor recommended replacing the right spring at the same time, for reasons explained by louisw. If I'm already gonna spend $1000+ on this work, I may as well spend another 60 bucks to get the right rear spring replaced at the same time.

Re: ride quality, I've never noticed any problems. Perhaps I just got used to the car driving the way it does. I haven't noticed any squeaks or leaks.

Car has 74,500 miles. It's a 95 SE. Wouldn't surprise me that some of these components have finally begun to wear out, as they typically do on Contiques - right?

To reach some common ground between horseydug and demonsvt/louisw, let me say this: Yes, Ford policy specifies that some suspension components need NOT be replaced in pairs, but it's never a BAD idea to do this and in some cases (such as when the vehicle is old and the parts are probably nearing end of useful life) it's definitely a GOOD idea.

I appreciate all of your comments.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner