Originally posted by Keyser:
Chi-town
The headers alone which are completely stainless mandrel are over a grand. You will be hard pressed to find anyone using 321 stainless in their kit. The turbo is a dual ball bearing T28. Ball bearings are a $500 option on top of the cost of the turbo. The kit you see is most likely a T3 which is 3 to 4 hundred retail and is mild steel tubing.

I'm new but I had to jump in on this as I see some serious design flaws, ( I am building a TT kit for the duratec so this may come across as a slam but it's direct questions to the builders of the product and the chioces they've made)

I build kits for a few cars, in fact I have a nice BIG turbo on my supra, at peak boost of 16 psi, with my foot pushing the go pedal through the firewall I can just reash 1480F on the manifold.. now I don't know where your boys get thier metal info from but 321 is good for sustained use at 1850F and 304 is good to 1400F. I also don't know about your welders but I'm sure you've been told that mixing very different alloys like 321 and 304 is not a good idea as even TIG welds will be compromised. 321 is vastly overkill and silly, the reason you don't see people using it is becuse it's not required. my kits are all 316 which is good to 1700F sustained, however I also have the option of using 309, 310 and 421 alloys as well, all are 5x easier to work with and take manderl bending much easier.. I'm sure that $1000 is becuse you've got to send your 321 sent out to be done somewhere on the coast.

the water/air IC is an odd chioce given the very low boost levels your working at, adding more complexity to a design is a Jr. Eng. students folly. a simple air/air IC will do the same job with less parts to go worng.

I noticed the dyno info was done with the upgraded BB T28, not the bushing model. I'd like to see those numbers..

E manage is overkill, nice, but over kill, I use that in my full race kits for 400hp zetecs. Thier are better products for the boost level your working with.

Overall I don't see $5000 US in cost.. even with the extra T03 (new) and extra wastegate I can project @ the same price Canadian.

Personal thoughts..

It nice that your building kits and offering up solutions to power up the duratec.. but in the end, your overbuilding your way out of exsistence..