Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
wait a sec! i was just out looking at my car and i dont see where the thermostat housing could be. the haines manual points to the area but i am not 100% sure that there is one there. hmmmmmmmmm, i am confused.

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
yup it was the waterpump but i also replaced the thermostat since i was already in there. when i popped the waterpump open the pastic impellar was in a million pieces. the fins were all cracked and i most likely have pieces flying around in there somewhere. if you haven't changed your waterpump yet and your around 60k miles my suggestion is DO IT NOW since you most likely have pieces of the impeller in the coolant. that plastic is actually pretty brittle.
theres only one more problem i have and thats the temp guage doesnt move at all and stays all the way past red. my guess its the water temp sensor but im not sure can someone tell if thats what it is or what else it could be??

E0 T-Red SVT '98 S\/T K.I.A 6/14/02 AIM: p0lskipimp
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by Milan007:
Well, Mario called me, and left me a message that it was fixed. So, it's all good... Still feel bad I couldn't help Mario, but you know my situation...

Kewl.

Was it the waterpump or what?

Two Red Tours! (Oops, No Red Tours!) '03 Subaru Forester X 5-speed '02 SVT Focus - not fast, just fun!
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by Mario Opalka:
theres only one more problem i have and thats the temp guage doesnt move at all and stays all the way past red. my guess its the water temp sensor but im not sure can someone tell if thats what it is or what else it could be??

Well, I'm glad it's fixed.

I'm at work and can't access my shop manual, there is a way to test the temp gauge function.

Do you want the K&N that came with the car? Yours free, but it needs to be cleaned and oiled (I don't have the kit).

PM me and let me know...

Two Red Tours! (Oops, No Red Tours!) '03 Subaru Forester X 5-speed '02 SVT Focus - not fast, just fun!
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
Mario, I strongly urge you to flush the Cooling system man! Only way to have a good chance to get rid of whatever may be in your coolant. And besides, it is supposed to be changed every 50K...

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
you know i would have flushed it the other day but i couldnt find the plug that is usually on the radiator. Does anyone know where the plug is to drain the coolant?

E0 T-Red SVT '98 S\/T K.I.A 6/14/02 AIM: p0lskipimp
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I don't think the 'Tour has a drain plug. Disconnect the lower rad hose to drain it.

Did you get the temp gauge fixed? Looking at the testing flow chart isn't a lot of help. It talks about testing the gauge with a variable resistance tester.

The ECT (coolant temp sensor) should have high resistance when cold and low resistance when hot. If the gauge is full hot all the time, that would mean the ECT sensor wire is seeing little or no resistance, or is shorted to ground?

If you need, I can scan in the testing procedure and connector info from my '96 shop manual, I doubt the circuits have changed much for that particular application.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by 2redtours:
I don't think the 'Tour has a drain plug. Disconnect the lower rad hose to drain it.

Yes it has a drain plug. On the passenger side of the radiator.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
By flushing I mean doing the whole nine yards guys... Simply dumping the coolant won't get any pieces of the broken impellers out. Gotta use the hose method, or do it proffesionally....

W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by TheContourGuy:
The Duratec has a thermostat. Without one, the ECU would have no idea what temp your engine is running at, hence it couldn't supply the correct amount of coolant.

the thermostat controlls the amount of coolant that flows through your motor, basically it opens when your motor is hot, closes after it cools, to help the motor warm up faster. this is why you have no heat in the winter for a few minutes.

the ecu gets its reading from the engine coolant temp sensor. (like 2redtours mentioned) but doesnt use this to control the coolant flow. instead, the ecu reads the coolant temp and advances or retards the timing, or leans or richens the fuel ratio, for (somewhat) optimum power and knock prevention.

chitown- be sure to watch the coolant level after all the work is done, if your car looses coolant, the overheating could've caused the head gasket to blow. this just happend to a friend of mine.

mark

2002 s2k - stock used to own a black 98 Mystique GS Spree zetec/atx
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard