Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#414194 08/29/02 07:58 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
So, got the car back today, with new throttle body and new throttle cable. Dealer tested it extensively...service manager took it home last night, a 60-mile commute, and says it worked the way it should. (got the car back with a full tank of gas, by the way...that was a nice touch...'course, with my luck, they filled it with regular)

Long term will be interesting. As I've noted before in this thread, the IAC valve was replaced the last time I made this complaint, and that did fix the problem, but it was only about three weeks before the throttle rise started to occur again...at first occasionally, gradually increasing in frequency until the last couple of weeks when it's been happening every day.

Others have pointed to the throttle cable recall, and another instance was resolved with a new MAF sensor.

Either there's more than one cause for this kind of thing, or technicians all over North America are somehow bumping or bending something the right way 'round when they're doing something else. Beats the heck outta me.

Craig 99SVT black/tan 2725 of 2760
#414195 08/29/02 10:09 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Fingers crossed

Focus SE Sport Wagon (the wife's) Mazda3 (mine)
#414196 02/11/03 04:24 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
[DUPLICATE ISSUE/THREAD]

I know this thread is old, but this issue still exists. I had a 2000 Cougar (v6) with this same issue... it started around 20k miles. I kept bringing it to the dealer, and they gave me the same line.. "Well, that's normal." and when I told them that it is a safety issue and that they don't understand the problem, they finally seemed interested. The several times I brought my Cougar there, I got it back unchanged. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem. So, I was driving to work one day, and the rpm hang was pretty bad, I dropped by the dealer and had the mechanic ride along. FINALLY they began to understand! They were able to test the car, while this problem was happening, and they found the problem. I believe it was some electrical problem, but since this was about 3-4 months ago, I can't clearly recall.

The reason I'm bringing this up: The lease expired on my 2000 Cougar and I just (1 week ago) picked up a 2000 Contour SVT... which has the same rpm hang!! As I'm sure you can imagine, this is very frustrating... and it only has 17.7k miles.

I'll try to contact that dealer to see if they have the record of what they did to fix this... and if others are interested, I can post the results.

[EDIT: The service center said it was the TPS... and it runs $192. I'm trying to find out if this is considered a 'maintenance item'...]

Last edited by morbid death; 02/11/03 04:58 PM.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
#414197 02/11/03 05:17 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Apparently, SHO's have a similar problem and fix... though they're saying it the TPS connector that can also kill the TPS sensor....

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/highidle.html

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard