FWIW, I had the accelerator cable recall performed back in '99, but in the past 4 months or so I've occasionally experienced "throttle rise" (a very appropriate name for the phenomenon, quite distinct from the "throttle hang" resulting from the built-in emissions reduction strategy).

My observation is that there is no irregularity whatsoever in the "feel" of the throttle pedal when this happens, so in my case at least I conclude there's nothing wrong with the throttle cable or body. The air has to be coming from somewhere else downstream of the MAF sensor (the IAC, perhaps).

Can anyone shed some light on the inner workings of the IAC? Is it a solenoid, or a continuously-variable control valve? I suspect the latter, and if I could command the IAC "full open" and see the engine RPM increase to 3500-4000 or so, I'd have to say the problem is caused by the IAC valve sticking open on occasion.

//> //> //> //> //> Garrick 2006 Mazda6 Grand Sport wagon, silver, MTX I'll never forget you: Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97