Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
Today my car all of the sudden started trembling while idle. Almost like it will stall. The weather here is quit muggy and humid and I've had previous cars having the same problem.

What is wrong? Timing belt is new and the alternator is new too. Spark plugs and wires are also new.

please help

96 Contour GL ATX
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
was it making funny noises too? I think my car is having a bad case of the moose

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
yea, it sounded like it was going to die out. All trembling and stuff, the whole car was shaking. No squeaky noise though. This morning it was really hard to start up the car too.

96 Contour GL ATX
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
my car has been doing this a little bit as well. It is a 99 se V-6 MTX and has about 70,000 miles on it. I changed the fuel filter for the first time ever on saturday, hopefully that will help, but I was wondering, Ford touts the engine as not needing a tune up until 100,000 miles. Other places I have checked recommend doing it at 60,000. What do you guys recommend? I plan on getting it done soon because I figure I really can't complain about going 3 years without doing a tune up considering my previous cars needed it done every 15 or 20k. Does anyone have any recommendation on type of plugs? Consensus on wires seems to be the Ford racing 9mm wires. Good wires, low price

L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Personally, I don't think the plugs will even make it to 60,000. My first set were toast at 32K.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Good info, incidentally, what would be the most common signs of needing a tune up? I have had the car for 3 years with minimal maintenance and I still seem to get the same performance and the same 23 mpg economy which I thought was a bit low, but that is what I have gotten from day 1. Could it just be that I have had good luck with my car?

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Cappuccino911:
Does anyone have any recommendation on type of plugs?

For the V6, you should get double platinums (since the plugs spark from both ends).

I recommend the Autolite double platinum (APP764), but I believe that Motorcraft also makes a similar plug.

There is also a lot of controversy over the Bosch+4 plugs. Some people like them, but others have had problems with them.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
going towards 87K, hasent had a tune-up yet. Still runs like she did when she was brand new, inckuding that sexy engine growl

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
It seems that moonlight mystique has been born again as "Cool Blue Mystique"

sorry if I let the cat out of the bag on you!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard