Print Thread
#411951 08/16/02 05:07 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
C
We need an asthetics forum so I can ask my questions:

1) How the crap do you remove the two dash trim pieces on either side of the steering wheel? You know, the big one that holds the radio and the little one that holds the headlight switch. The Hayne's manual does absolutely nothing, as all cars in it are Mondy's. I need to finish painting the dash trim and it looks really bad half finished.

2) On my front bumper, some white car tried to fight mine and left paint on it. (Someone hit me in the parking lot while I was at work) Anyway, I've asked many people and haven't gotten the same answer twice, but how should I go about removing thier paint and not my clearcoat? A guy at Pep Boys said to use a very mild abrasive, an alcoholic at work said to use paint thinner, and Lee told me to get down and rub it out. Ideas?

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#411952 08/16/02 05:12 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Andy W. scraped the passenger door, fender and bumper on a yellow pole, leaving yellow streaks ans scratches the whole way.

I used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and a elbow grease to get all the yellow out. The scratches remained since they were through the clearcoat and paint.

Depending on how bad the scrape is you may be able to get away with using Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to remove the white and then following up with 3M Swirl Remover/Meguiar's Swirl Remover.

Good luck.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#411953 08/16/02 06:47 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
C
In reply to:

Originally posted by stpete21
Andy W. scraped the passenger door, fender and bumper on a yellow pole, leaving yellow streaks ans scratches the whole way.

I used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and a elbow grease to get all the yellow out. The scratches remained since they were through the clearcoat and paint.

Depending on how bad the scrape is you may be able to get away with using Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to remove the white and then following up with 3M Swirl Remover/Meguiar's Swirl Remover.

Good luck.

Ok, cool stuff. There's no scratches, it's just white paint on the blue car doesn't look too nice. I'll give that a shot.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#411954 08/16/02 07:15 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
clay bar might take out the white paint as well... just be careful and follow the directions.. i'd try the cleaner wax first though because claying is a pain in the neck.

as for the two dash pieces, the one on the left has a few screws under it, remove the kick panel under the steering wheel then you have to un-screw the panel and the healight switch and pull them o ut together, then detach it from the panel. dont forget to unplug em before you start tugging, once you get the screws out it should damn near fall in your lap.

the piece around the stereo was a giant pain in the rear for me... i'd suggest a few very short phillips screwdrivers and one of those bendy things on a drill if you can find one.. there are several screws under the stereo slot i cant remember how many but i think 2 on the sides and 3-4 directly under it.. also there is probably one under the pannel beneath your steering wheel.. the two screws on the sides (i'm talking about the molded rail lookin sides on the bottom of the panel) were directly above the area where my center console butted into the panel so i had to remove the front 2 screws on either side of the console and push down on it to get in there after those two screws. Once you've got all the screws out grab a panel puller and start prying it out, go all the way around slowly so you dont leave dents / scrapes / cuts in your dash, dont worry about the stereo, it can come out with the panel. tugging it out was the worst part for me because i was afraid i was going to break it, it was in there and hell bent on not coming out.

PM me if you have any more questions or if this doesnt make sense

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
#411955 08/17/02 06:27 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
In reply to:

Originally posted by Speed Demon
clay bar might take out the white paint as well... just be careful and follow the directions.. i'd try the cleaner wax first though because claying is a pain in the neck.

as for the two dash pieces, the one on the left has a few screws under it, remove the kick panel under the steering wheel then you have to un-screw the panel and the healight switch and pull them o ut together, then detach it from the panel. dont forget to unplug em before you start tugging, once you get the screws out it should damn near fall in your lap.

the piece around the stereo was a giant pain in the rear for me... i'd suggest a few very short phillips screwdrivers and one of those bendy things on a drill if you can find one.. there are several screws under the stereo slot i cant remember how many but i think 2 on the sides and 3-4 directly under it.. also there is probably one under the pannel beneath your steering wheel.. the two screws on the sides (i'm talking about the molded rail lookin sides on the bottom of the panel) were directly above the area where my center console butted into the panel so i had to remove the front 2 screws on either side of the console and push down on it to get in there after those two screws. Once you've got all the screws out grab a panel puller and start prying it out, go all the way around slowly so you dont leave dents / scrapes / cuts in your dash, dont worry about the stereo, it can come out with the panel. tugging it out was the worst part for me because i was afraid i was going to break it, it was in there and hell bent on not coming out.

PM me if you have any more questions or if this doesnt make sense

Too true those dash pieces are a PITA!

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#411956 08/17/02 08:37 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Thanks, Speed Demon. Now I have to go spend more money at Home Depot. I practically live there, I should get a discount.

#411957 08/17/02 09:26 PM
U
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
U
I just got done installing my indiglo guages and the hvac.. wow pita is right.. those under the stereo are just hard to get, but it was not THAT bad.

Last edited by unknown; 08/17/02 09:26 PM.

2k silver svt #1721 Ignorance breeds stupidity..

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard