Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#407531 06/15/02 07:18 PM
R
RMk Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Just out of blatant curiosity... was this particular configuration ever considered for the engine bay of the Contour/Cougar? This seems to me (a newbie) the best way out there to install a turbo setup.

Audi's S4 has two turbochargers, one for each bank of cylinders (hence, "Biturbo"). The benefits over traditional turbocharger arrangements are increased low-end torque, more upper end horsepower and improved throttle response. Audi gives these advantages to the biturbo S4, A6 2.7T, and Allroad QuattroŽ, as well as its competition cars, the Audi R8 and S4.

Looks ideal, IS ideal; has it been considered?

.RMk..

'99 SVT, Silver Frost
Open K&N w/ heat shield.
#407532 06/15/02 08:16 PM
T
T
now turn that sideways and try to stuff it in our engine bay. space is a MAJOR issue with our cars...

1999 Silver Frost SVT
#609 of 2760
Born on 12/3/98

KKM Intake
Removed Resonator
35% Window Tint all around
Tinted Tail Lights
ElKy Mesh Grilles
HID

Dyno'ed at 175.3HP/155.5TQ

"How much must I live through just to get away..."
#407533 06/15/02 08:49 PM
J
J
Not sure really about the fitment into a contour...my guess would be that its definatly not plugnplay, so to speak! wink

I will say one thing! The B5(old gen) S4 will be my next car. I have pretty much decided on that, now I just need to figure out how to pay for it! laugh

Justin
1998 Black SVT
jcboeckl@unity.ncsu.edu
#407534 06/17/02 12:01 AM
R
RMk Offline OP
OP Offline
R
TheGreatOne:
now turn that sideways and try to stuff it in our engine bay. space is a MAJOR issue with our cars...

There is a certain number of engine bay components that can be relocated like the coolant reservior and battery... but that's not the point. laugh

The question was not "will this fit?", but "Had anyone ever looked into this kind of a setup?" Ya don't know if it will until it's been researched.

I do understand where you're coming from; it is hard to see how it could fit from a "never thought about that" POV, but I don't see why a dual-TB UIM and two TC couldn't be worked into our engine bay, assuming the piping can be kept to a minimum.

Audi engineering is remarkably solid, reliable and efficient (typical German engineering smile ). Those being qualities that I value, I decided to raise this question. laugh

Also, as an aside and to further clarify the intention of the original post, what I meant was not that the Audi S4 motor be dropped into a CSVT, but that the turbo setups that everyone is working with or considering may not be as ideal as Audi's biturbo setup; more specifically, that there is a turbocharger for each side of the motor, e.g. 1 Turbo for cylinders 1,2,3 and another for 4,5,6.

.RMk..

'99 SVT, Silver Frost
Open K&N w/ heat shield.
#407535 06/17/02 02:08 AM
S
S
There's a TT Duratec Focus built by Ken Dutweiller (sp?). It makes 450 HP, no he won't sell parts and is not interested in providing a kit IIRC. Doing a search here or on google would probably provide more info on it.

2000 Silver ZX3
1999 SVT Contour RIP 6/9/02
#407536 06/17/02 02:54 AM
T
T
Quote:
There is a certain number of engine bay components that can be relocated like the coolant reservior and battery... but that's not the point.
I agree...but where are you going to put those intercoolers? There's only so much room to be had. I'd like to see the dutweiller focus...last I saw it was a single turbo duratec. Cool nonetheless.

1999 Silver Frost SVT
#609 of 2760
Born on 12/3/98

KKM Intake
Removed Resonator
35% Window Tint all around
Tinted Tail Lights
ElKy Mesh Grilles
HID

Dyno'ed at 175.3HP/155.5TQ

"How much must I live through just to get away..."
#407537 06/17/02 03:57 AM
J
J
You should check into a car called the Noble M12 (Or something) if I remember correctly doesn't it have a TT Duratec?

Justin
1998 Black SVT
jcboeckl@unity.ncsu.edu
#407538 06/17/02 04:20 AM
S
S
Yeah I remembered the Noble M12 after I posted, the engine bay is huge smile . I dunno about the Duttweiler focus, I thought it was TT, but I don't really remember much now.

Some other focus guys are going to try to get a twin turbo Duratec working as well on focaljet. There just isn't much space back there for a turbo on the far bank, and forget about using fmic's the way Audi does.

And Audi doesn't use the TT on their FWD vehicles, only those with quattro, probably because all the stuff that has to be mounted under the hood in a FWD car can be moved further back in the Quattro setups.

2000 Silver ZX3
1999 SVT Contour RIP 6/9/02
#407539 06/17/02 05:51 AM
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Square Root Guy:
There's a TT Duratec Focus built by Ken Dutweiller (sp?). It makes 450 HP, no he won't sell parts and is not interested in providing a kit IIRC. Doing a search here or on google would probably provide more info on it.
SINGLE TURBO! 450HP

You can search this site too. It's been brought up numerous times. It's quite a piece of art.

Also the statements about engine bay space are dead on. It's tough enough fitting one under the hood, much less two, extra piping, an extra intercooler (seen in picture)

Then the remark about turning the engine sideways is perfect. Look at the picture you posted and ask where the intercooler would be. Sideways under the dash and sideways sticking through the front clip. Since the engine already goes firewall to firewall...

The engine bay for the CDW-27 is not very large and the V6 is a wide engine for it's size.

Yes the Noble has a TT Duratec. However the power output is lacking IMO. 310HP from 2 turbos in a completely custom setup and tuning. (not limited by current design, space, parts, PCM, etc)
Though weighing in at only 2160lbs it sure does fly & handling well!!!

N/A 3L's are making 260-300HP
S/C 2.5L's are making 325-360HP

I expect the single turbo in current development to make a good 300HP. (with lots of torque!)
Considerably more with an upgraded turbo (an option)

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
#407540 06/17/02 10:09 AM
R
RMk Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The thing with the Noble is that it's another "traditional" style twin-turbo setup, in that it uses one turbo to spool up the other. It's not exactly the same thing. laugh

The Audi setup is a single turbo for each cylinder bank. Not 2 interconnected turbos for both, but one for each. Nevermind... there was a picture. laugh

About the intercoolers fitting (who said there had to be intercoolers anyway?), I'm sure if you moved some of the larger engine bay components out of the way (IAT, MAF, filter, coolant reservior, battery) and with a little bit of imagination, you can see how an intercooler might fit between the motor and the wheels on either side.

It's a stretch, but... on the pipes -- I don't know if there's a certain amount of length required -- but if you could keep the pipes rather short coming from the exhaust and going to the intake... this could be possible.

My reason for posting this (aside from my love for efficiency laugh ) is that it seems possible that you could set a lower PSI and get equal or greater output than a single turbo or traditional twin.

.RMk..

'99 SVT, Silver Frost
Open K&N w/ heat shield.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard