Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Well, I think the wife and I have narrowed down our choices for her new car. Nissan Sentra SER or Mazda Protege' ES. Either would be Automatic (I know, I know...don't get me started), but we are leaning towards the Protege' because:
1-Better Resale
2-Better Quality
3-Slightly Cheaper (Not really a concern)
4-Better fuel milage (Unfortunately 35hp less frown )
5-Better looking Interior/Exterior (Our opinion.

Anyway, the car Fully loaded with 6-Disc CD, MoonRoof, Full power, Perimeter Alarm, ABS, Automatic Tranny with Sport-Shift, 16" wheels, etc, etc will cost around $17,500 after IBM S-Plan discount (similar to Ford's X-Plan) and $500 new-graduate discount. Mazda is also offering 0% financing or $1500 cash back!

Does anyone have any opinions on this car?
Brochure: Mazda Protege\'

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black
2001 Honda SuperHawk VTR1000F
"I bent my Wookie"
www.mamisano.com
G
G
I would have her test drive both of them. My wife chose the Sentra SE over the Focus and Protege, and this is when the sporty version still had the 2.0 liter. The 2.5 liter is icing on the cake especially with the auto trans. The extra power in the Sentra shouldn?t be overlooked but either choice would be a sound one. Good luck.

Let me add, the Mazda has the more sophisticated suspension and after driving the Sentra I can see that. Although the Sentra handles good, it can sometimes feel sloppy/disconnected when it gets bumpy, for lack of a better description.

Clinton
'96 T-Red Contour SE V6 ATX
'01 Radium Sentra SE
-Waiting for-
'02 CD Silver Focus SVT
C
C
My wife and I just bought a 2002 Protege5 about 3 months ago. It is a really nice car, inside and out. The only thing lacking is power for acceleration. Once she is on the highway, she can do 85+ no problem and acceleration to 100 is not that big of a deal. It is just the 0-60 and 1/4 mile acceleration that is hurting.

But as you know, the handling on the car is superb. I cant wait to get a chance to take it on some of my favorite twisty roads i usually take my Cougar on.

Nikolas

1999 Mercury Cougar V6
KKM Intake,SVT TB, SVT Upper/Lower, 19lb injectors, Diablo Chip, MSDS Headers, Custom Exhaust, B&M Short Shifter, Progress Lowering Springs, 18" Axis TC's, OMP Strut Bar, AAM 24mm Rear Sway Bar, Koni Struts

15.09 @ 91.54(corrected, pre-SVT conversion, DiabloChip, and Injectors)
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys, keep in mind one thing. The car she is currently driving is a P.O.S. '92 Plymouth Acclaim with NO Power accessories,Broken AM/FM Radio, Broken A/C, Broken Heat, Peeling paint, Oil burning 4 cylinder, etc., etc.

So any new car that she gets will be like a Lexus to her wink

The car is not bad when she only needed to commute 2 miles to/from work and to the Gym in the evenings...now she is going back for her Masters degree in Education and the drive is 40 miles each way! The current car will NOT survive laugh

"I bent my Wookie"
www.mamisano.com
R
R
HEYYYYY laugh I have that car smile I really love it... its a fun car and its VERY comfortable! I say go for it smile

here's mine:

and a rear end shot fo ya smile

EDIT: OH! and all the power options available :)the car is just so much fun to paly with... I didnt have any power options in the old car and when I got this car it was like heaven smile

~!Rach!~
2002 emerald green Protege ES
dont hate b/c im a troll Im a 'tour girl at heart!!
M
OP Offline
M
Rachel, nice car laugh . Is the price I listed above a good price? Not sure what they are going for off the lot.

Regards,

"I bent my Wookie"
www.mamisano.com
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by mamisano:
Thanks guys, keep in mind one thing. The car she is currently driving is a P.O.S. '92 Plymouth Acclaim with NO Power accessories,Broken AM/FM Radio, Broken A/C, Broken Heat, Peeling paint, Oil burning 4 cylinder, etc., etc.
That's funny because my wife left behind a P.O.S. '94 Dodge Shadow with the same option package wink

Clinton
'96 T-Red Contour SE V6 ATX
'01 Radium Sentra SE
-Waiting for-
'02 CD Silver Focus SVT
R
R
after tax title and tags I paid about 18 g's for it so I would think thats a good price .. I didnt talk the dealer down one bit tho lol if you can go for it but thats what I paid smile

oh and that also includes the extended warranty I got with it.. 100k mile laugh just cant lower it or anything frown

~!Rach!~
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel:
after tax title and tags I paid about 18 g's for it so I would think thats a good price .. I didnt talk the dealer down one bit tho lol if you can go for it but thats what I paid smile

oh and that also includes the extended warranty I got with it.. 100k mile laugh just cant lower it or anything frown
Thanks Rach, what options did you get?

"I bent my Wookie"
www.mamisano.com
R
R
pwr locks pwr windows pwr sunroof rear spoiler fog lamps 6 disc cd changer 16" alloys.. ummmmm basically its loaded I have it all smile

~!Rach!~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard