It's all OS issues. It sounds like you didn't do clean installs when you went back from ME to 98 (not good) then from 98 to 2000. Your PC sounds fine hardware wise. Unless these lock up's accured AFTER you upgraded your memory. Miss-matched memory WILL cause lock ups. Did you check your manual for memory compatabilities?

I would remove the memory you aded for a while and run your system, does it lock up?

If it's not the memory, first thing I would do is Format and fdisk that HDD, Install a clean copy of 2000 and you will be fine.

I would NOT JUMP in and start messing with your chip, fans etc just yet. Start at the begging and work up the ladder. There are MANY things that could be causing this, the CPU is one at the end of the list (only because it either works or it doens't. There is no way, if it was cracked or "crushed", which I have no idea HOW that would or could happen, that it would even boot, never mind working in Windows, it just wouldn't work at all).

You have to try and establish WHEN the lock ups started. WHAT CHANGED? That will help you find out what is wrong.

Simon W. Las Vegas.
96 SE V6 MTX Tereador Red (1st Blown Engine, better be the last!)
1999 SVT Engine
SVT Exhaust w/custom DTM Tips and optimized Y-pipe and no Res (thanks to Po-Jay!). LSD Quaife(thanks to Terry!), SCA CAI w/KKM, Grizzly clutch, FMS 9mm wires, Airknights custom short shifter.

"You can only get more rice at one time by ordering Chinese" - Davo7SVT
"it's only nuts and bolts" - Terry Haines
"Drive it like you stole it" - Me!