Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 34 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 33 34
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by scooby757:
Alright. First off I'd like to say I'm pretty amazed, and pleased, that after all this discussion of one of the most explosive topics
imaginable. Everyone has remained pretty respectfull of each other over all!! Impressive I think, no matter your origin! cool

I would just like to ask one more question of the creationists in my last post on this topic if I may. I personally can't offer anything I believe YOU would accept as undeniable proof of evolution. I'm okay with that, btw.

To cut to the chase here. I'm curious if there is any sort of "discovery" at all you can think of, that would change your minds? For instance, I'm sure I would personally be very responsive to actually SEEING for myself, [not just reading, or taking someone's word.] the actual "parting" of a sea, or a spontaeneously combusting bush that spoke to me. Or people turning into pillars of salt. Etc... I'm really being very serious here I promise.

Would the undisputed existance of extra-terrestrial life do it? For instance an actual craft, or aliens, or both together in the form of a visit? [I don't mean reports of "someone saw a flying...today] I mean here they are/it is for ALL to see. Or would there be some "interpretation" of a passage someplace that would "make room" for this and put things "right" again? Please be honest, take your time. I'm just curious what "evidence" would suffice, if any.
smile
ttt

blk.99svt
n.e.Ohio
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups...
T
T
Short answer for Scooby..
God says he created the world for us. He created it to share with us. We sinned, he cursed the "whole creation". He then sends his son to fix OUR problem.. the sin, therein lies the answer... Christ came to die for MAN...(mankind)not for anyone else. He did not die for all the creation, but for man. So, using this as a basis for our theory on aliens.. They don't exist.
We can argue symantics later... my wife's hungry.. gotta go get grub.. or else get in trouble

Andre

95 Bmw 318
Port & Polish
Manifold back Exhaust
Koni Struts, Apex dropped springs
Pioneer Premiere Tunes all around
A
A
Taxed I will go on about other things and my list of arguments later. But why would this whole vast universe be made just so that there could be life on this one piece of rock we call home? Don't you think that that is a little overkill? How can you say there isn't any e.t.'s out there. After all that wouldn't be in the bible, would it? Because well we haven't had any visitors to tell us about it. Isn't possible that maybe god tried more than once with life? When you look at it why would he just give up after one failure. I think that is slight underachievement on his part. Hey maybe that why jesus hasn't come back yet. He found a place his dad didn't screw up on. Now I am not a big ufo believer but I think it is a little arrogant to think we are the only ones out there. Whether we got here by creation or evolution I don't see how of the millions of galaxies and billions of solar systems that this planet is the only one supporting sometype of life.

99' tropic green SVT
2558/2760
born on 08/06/99
KKM, resonator removed, B&M short throw, SHO shop y-pipe w/cat,
Pioneer deck, Boston Accoustics 10" rallys, MTX thunder amp
D
D
Wow..

you leave for a day or so.. and lookie what happens.

Micro evolution as you put is simple adaptation, however that is a key component of the first part of evolutionary theory. (Since no one seems able to understand this.. let me explain it further) A species moves into a given environment(from a different one.. for those needing everything spelled out for them..i.e. can't think of it on their own), and subtle changes occur that allow that species to adapt to that environment. Now take it further, (which is what evolutionary theory does.. which is why I said it's the first step) The species crosses over into another new environment and adapts yet again.., then a strange thing happens a slight genetic mutation occurs (it's called genetic drift) and while the species is still able to breed between group A and Group C.. they are separated by environment B which neither is very well suited for. So they don't intermingle.. a few more genetic variations occur for whatever reasons and soon you end up with distinct species. Maybe able to reproduce with each other.. but they'll only be able to make mules. (do I have to say what a mule is???) So that's it in a nutshell. And to say that genetic drift doesn't occur what do you say to the epiphatic fold (i think i spelled that right.. not sure though) Sickle-Cell, etc.

Species variation comes from isolation over a long time (unable to interbreed).

So again.. adaptation is the FIRST STEP.. in evolutionary theory..

Some people here don't quite seem to understand that examples are made in science to prove each part of a theory. Then they are tested and retested.. Everyone seems to agree on adaptation.. (which I find wildly impossible) I mean why would God create something only to have it fail/destroyed??? Isn't he all-powerful and all-knowing so why would any rational being create something to kill it?? The only answer I can come up with is that God is irrational and well.. You can see how that wouldn't make sense (I hope). I mean God may be testing humans (again though same question) but why would he test something that doesn't even have the intelligence to understand a test???

Again Evolutionary THEORY (I'm not sure people understand the idea here behind a theory.. the reason it's a theory is because there is doubt as to it's validity.. ) has many parts. Each part of it is taken apart and examined, if it's found to be faulty.. which admittedly parts of it can be found.. new ideas are postulated and tested to be included in the THEORY..

So evolutionary theory is in itself in a process of adaptation and evolution as parts of it are proven and/or disproven. The problem with creationist theory is that like God, it cannot be proven or disproven. It's just a statement.. God created the world in XXXX amount of time. Which to me is patently absurd and a very primitive way of looking at the world.

So yes you can poke holes in evolutionary theory, after all it's not a fact, however it does fit the facts as we know them today. Each scientific endeavor from astronomy to engineering to chemistry has facets that support evolutionary theory. I've as of yet to see a single one that supports creationist theory.

And again.. I'm not going to bother quoting examples.. because in truth all the counter arguements here just raise doubts about evolutionary theory... they do nothing to prove creationism. And as I admitted from the start evolution is a Theory, which means it's imperfect and not a fact. But at least it has more going for it than the primitive creationist stories from 2000 years ago. So go ahead poke holes in it.. that's part of scientific endeavor, to question and not take blindly it's tenents. It still fits what evidence we do have better than any other theory that exists today. And if someone comes along with a better one.. that fits the scientific evidence better.. great.. I'm all for it, until then though, I fall on the side of evolution.

Dave Andrews
Black&Tan 2000 SVT 225 of 2150
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." -Montaigne
B
B
Kudo's all, I'm glad to see that this debate has not turned into nothing more than name calling and other childish games. It means that we are keeping respect for each other!!! Keep it up!!!

Currently: 2002 ztw focus wagon, black, manual. Yippee it sucks!!

blitzkrieg53@hotmail.com
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by blitzkrieg53:
Kudo's all, I'm glad to see that this debate has not turned into nothing more than name calling and other childish games. It means that we are keeping respect for each other!!! Keep it up!!!
Hang around.. we usually have one of these on here every couple months.. Same people always tend to be involved too. You shoulda seen one we had going with Sandman about police and stuff...if you look back about 6 months I'm sure you'll find it.

I think too many of us just like to debate things. I know I do.. keeps my mind sharp.

Dave Andrews
Black&Tan 2000 SVT 225 of 2150
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." -Montaigne
A
A
Yeah this is the second or third one I've been in.Though I didn't post much in the other two. I'm rather surprised Edwardc only posted once (I think) in this topic.

99' tropic green SVT
2558/2760
born on 08/06/99
F
F
Dave

The problem with creationist theory is that like God, it cannot be proven or disproven. It's just a statement.. God created the world in XXXX amount of time. Which to me is patently absurd and a very primitive way of looking at the world.

I find your statement very interesting DaveAndrews....you won't believe in a God that can create the earth in 7 days but you will believe in something that takes about a billion times as long, and billions of chance occurances happening in exactly the required order by random chance ? Does that not seem stranger than science fiction ? Just wondering.

B
B
Runaway plate subduction read it here. It is rather long but seriously check it out.

http://www.icr.org/research/jb/runawaysubduction.htm

Currently: 2002 ztw focus wagon, black, manual. Yippee it sucks!!

blitzkrieg53@hotmail.com
A
A
For those discrediting all types of dating that are brought up I have an interesting page for you to look at.
Bad news for dating naysayers
Read part about isochron dating

99' tropic green SVT
2558/2760
born on 08/06/99
Page 21 of 34 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard