TheMark:

I have a feeling this "contradiction" is caused by the translation from Hebrew. Let me research this:

from http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/1272.asp

On the surface, this seems to say that the land beasts and birds were created between Adam and Eve. However, Jewish scholars apparently did not recognize any such conflict with the account in chapter 1, where Adam and Eve were both created after the beasts and birds (Genesis 1:23–25). Why is this? Because in Hebrew the precise tense of a verb is determined by the context. It is clear from chapter 1 that the beasts and birds were created before Adam, so Jewish scholars would have understood the verb "formed' in Genesis 2:19 to mean "had formed' or "having formed'. If we translate verse 19 as follows (as one widely used translation* does), "Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field …', the apparent disagreement with Genesis 1 disappears completely.

Here is what I found in the New King James Version:

Genesis 2:18-19 : New King James Version (NKJV)

Genesis 2
18And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him." 19Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.

This is what I found in the New International Version:

Genesis 2:18-19 : New International Version

Genesis 2
18 The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."
19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.

This is why, when you come across something in the Bible that doesn't make sense, take a look at another translation, and read commentaries on the passage. Because, rest assured, you are not the first person to question the Bible.

Chad Purser
'98 Silver SVT
Mostly Stock