Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
A while back I asked my uncle (who has owned/ran his own body shop for the last 20yrs) what the safest car on the road was.

He said that he believed the Olds Aurora was the safest car. He said that it's extremely overbuilt and the structure is similar to a stock car (went into details but I can't remember).

Also, he said that the PT Cruiser was one of the most dangerous cars to be driving if you ever get in a side impact. There's no side impact beams in the doors, it's just the skin. He actually called Crysler when he first got one in the shop because he thought they messed it up in production and forgot side impact beams. They confirmed that they put no side impact protection in the doors. He informed the owners of the safety deficiency, and they promptly sold it.

As for Volvo, he said that it's just marketing gimmick. Their structure is no different than most other cars on the road.

BTW, glad to your your m-i-l is OK. laugh

1999 SVT #900/2760
Born on 1-20-99
Silver Frost/Midnight Blue
A few aesthetic and audio mods
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT Colin:

... Also, he said that the PT Cruiser was one of the most dangerous cars to be driving if you ever get in a side impact. There's no side impact beams in the doors, it's just the skin. He actually called Crysler when he first got one in the shop because he thought they messed it up in production and forgot side impact beams. They confirmed that they put no side impact protection in the doors. He informed the owners of the safety deficiency, and they promptly sold it.
Chrysler can probably do this because the PT Pretender is classified as a light truck. So many car safety features are not required.

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard