Y
Y
heres an idea, dont speed!

THIS CAR IS F***ING COOL!

bone stock for now...
C
C
dont speed? wheres the fun in that?

im doin a 100 on the highway... so if you do the speed limit get the f*** out of my way.
going 80 on an Interstate is way different than going 50 in a residential area.

To me, those who speed near homes and kids are the ones who really should be ticketed.

2000 SE fleet, V6, ATX, ABS, no spoiler, T-Green/tan. Built 01/2000 in MO.
Added 12 spoke factory SE rims, K&N. Biggest mod: ESP Plan!
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000V6SE:
going 80 on an Interstate is way different than going 50 in a residential area.

To me, those who speed near homes and kids are the ones who really should be ticketed.
Here, here! I admit, I speed on the highway, but I will stick to the set speed limit on al residential streets. I see it like this, God forbid you hit someone's child! And never, ever, EVER pass a school bus that has its lights on!

Chris
NJ
98.5 SVT Silver Frost w/Frankentrans
carsla AT optonline DOT net
S
S
hehe, good luck using their advice!

And I quote:

Quote:
The "cosine error" will prove to be very troublesome for the prosecution. Here's why. Let's assume that you determine that the earliest the officer could have seen your car was when you were 260 feet away. At 39 mph your vehicle would be moving at 39 X 1.47 feet or approximately 57 feet per second. Assuming at least one second for the officer to see your vehicle and engage his radar device added to the three seconds he will claim to have clocked you, or four seconds total, during which you will have traveled 228 feet. This puts you only 32 feet from the officers car at the time he "locked in" your speed from his sidestreet hiding spot. The angle of his radar beam to your direction of travel would result in a very serious cosine error. (You would have to be going 150 mph to register a 39-mph reading on a radar device at this type of angle. The officer will have already testified that he estimated your speed at 40 mph, therefore no one will seriously suggest you were actually going 150 mph!).

Sorry, but it doesn't take me 3 seconds to clock someone. My radar unit typically returns a reading in far less than a second. The author is also assuming that the officer would necessarrily have to start clocking you from close range, which is not at all accurate. I write tickets for 1/2 - 3/4 mile out all the time. That distance also reduces the cosine error.

In addition to that, there is nothing saying that the radar reading is a one time only reading. Once activated, it is continous until the operator (officer) shuts it off or returns the unit to standby. This means that the officer can observe the indicated change in your speed as you drive by, even though you actual speed may stay the same. Thus, the officer can testify that the cosine error was observed, and proves that the unit was working as intended. It also proves that your actual speed was higher than your indicated speed, at which point you are assured a conviction.

Just goes to show, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
K
Kai Offline
K
Not that I've ever used a radar gun, but I'm a physics student, soon to be a physics minor. Only if you are travelling directly at the (stationary) radar gun will it give your true speed reading. This cosine error (if I'm understanding correctly that it refers to the error produced by varying angles) will only give a lower speed than the car is actually traveling. For example, if you are clocked going exactly perpendicular to the radar, it will show a speed of zero, because you are not moving in reference to the radar. So even if you are clocked close the officer, it can be proven with simple physics that you were going even faster than the gun showed.

Food for thought I guess. smile

Kendall
'97 GL Zetec ATX
" Nippy "
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
So even if you are clocked close the officer, it can be proven with simple physics that you were going even faster than the gun showed.
The cosine effect always benefits the violator. I don't see it as a very good defense in court. LOL

Jacob
1999 Tropic Green SVT
1693/2760 3/30/1999
Knauberized Fog Light Mod
J
J
Sandman333,

Just curious....is there any minimum overage you generally don't pull people over for.

Say for example someone was going 8-9miles over. Would you persue them or would you wait for something a bit more. I know that I've passed cops sitting on the side of the highway several time going say 8-10mph over the speed limit and they didn't pull me over!

Always wondered if there was a minimum overage or something?

Justin
1998 Black SVT
jcboeckl@unity.ncsu.edu
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by jcboeckl:
Sandman333,

Just curious....is there any minimum overage you generally don't pull people over for.

Say for example someone was going 8-9miles over. Would you persue them or would you wait for something a bit more. I know that I've passed cops sitting on the side of the highway several time going say 8-10mph over the speed limit and they didn't pull me over!

Always wondered if there was a minimum overage or something?
In defensive driving, they've told me 7. I'm sure it varies when you're on the highway and in the city, etc. My buddy got pulled over for doing 76 on the Interstate (75mph limit), and I know people that have just gotten warnings doing 15 over in the city. So I'm sure it's all relative.

Silver E1
I'm afraid Speed Demon has given me the mod bug.
AIM: Davo7Wins
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard