All very good points.

It may not be worth it financially to go after this guy, costing more than the $150 in NSF charges.

However, isn't is check fraud to write checks that you know will not clear.

HIS name is on the checks that didn't clear. So isn't this guy comitting an act of fraud if he writes the checks and then clears the account?

Seems the evidence would be there. The banks have the checks, and if any of them were processed electronically, you would have the exact times the checks were submitted and could compare that with the time he cleared out the account.

I would imagine the bank would be interested in someone trying to perpetrate a fraud.

I know the first time my now ex-wife wrote a check on "my" account (We each had accounts, and were co-owners on each others primary accounts) during her affair, she bounced the check, and I closed that account since I couldn't remove her from the account. Since it was a negative balance, I paid the difference, the bank waived the fees given the situation and my longstanding relationship with them, and opened a new account, new debit card, etc.

Done.

She was off the credit cards, save the $400 limit gas card, etc.

I would go back to the bank and take your evidence, your statement will tell when the checks were presented and when ex-fiance presented himself to clean out the account and ask them if they like being a party to fraud?

I would not settle for less than the NSF charges being dropped and if they want to go after him, she would be willing to cooperate fully with the bank.

Otherwise, there are plenty of banks who do want her business, and perhaps the $150 was cheap tuition in the school of life, and a new bank would appreciate her business even more.

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004