Originally posted by Beowulf:
During the Battle of the Bulge, the 101st Airborne was surrounded in Bastonge, Belgium. The Nazi General offered surrender to the 101st, and the General's reply was "Nuts!".

The 101st had very little ammo, food and lacked adequate clothing. The Germans had spanked everyone in their way on the way to Bastonge, which was a crucial crossroads. The 101st had little to nothign to fight with, but repelled every attack over a very cold winter.

It was one of the finest moments in American military history.

And of course the other ultimate quote from the seige of Bastogne was "They've got us surrounded, the poor bas*ards."

Quote:

Patton was in an accident, but died of an embolism... he was actually riding in a Caddy at the time.

Yeah, many people don't realize Patton never made it back to the States. He died in Dec. of 1945 after a truck driver cut off his car. Happened on a base in Germany. He hit his head on a metal part of the partition between the seats. The car is preserved at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, KY, where I saw it a few years ago. Cool place to visit.

As for Leckie, I read his "The Wars of America" books in college. Two of the few assigned books I actually enjoyed reading.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500