Originally posted by hetfield:
I've found that going to look at any used car in my SVT and pointing it out to the salesman at some point really takes the pressure off. They seem to realize that unless they can show me something better than what I already have they aren't going to win me over by brute force.

I do the same thing. In adition, do your research, if you know what you're talkinga bout its pety easy to turn the game around on a dealer.....here's the little story of my SVT.

Went to look at it after hearing about it entirely by chance. Went in knowing the car had a 3rd gear grind(had funds already stashed for a TH trans), 100k miles and nothing else. I drove up in my old modded SE and asked to look at the SVT(called ahead so it was ready for me) he handed me the keys and pointed me in the right direction. Imediatly uppon starting the car i tested the sunroof, gear was stripped. The body had no rust but had been keyed only days earlier when at auction . The check engine light was on but with the mileage i assumed either cats or O2's...again not a big deal since i had funds waiting for headers and MIL eliminators. Otherwise the car was spotless....bone stock with minimal underbody rust and brand new BFG's on E1's with no curbage(easy sell after upgrading).

After a short test drive i came in and handed him the keys looking a bit disapointed. He came out with me and i explained my backround with the Contour and then proceded to just rip the car apart pointing out every minor flaw, quoted from common probles from the site and making a fiew up along the way.....ended up taking it home a week later for $2200.

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k