Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rayn Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
As you know the CSVT has a problem where the rear sway bar rips the mounts from the subframe. I would like to replace the rear subframe with an aftermarket one that I saw on BAT. While the legs are off this probably would be a good time to install new bushings. A mechanic quoted me $1100 for labor. The ad says that you can install the rear subframe at home with two jacks and some household tools...

Any thoughts?

SV Pushing An SVT!!! The Rayn Campaign
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
I have a cougar, so it may be alittle different. But it takes very little work to do this. It took me a day to pull one out and put it back with just hand tools. You need to be confident in your skills though, because you need to make sure your alignment is good when you are done. You should take it to an alignment shop after you get it back in.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Rayn:
...$1100 for labor.

My thoughts:

Find another mechanic.

Invite some CEGers over on Saturday, give them some beer & promise a BBQ after the install. Done.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by BluStrk:
I have a cougar, so it may be alittle different. But it takes very little work to do this. It took me a day to pull one out and put it back with just hand tools. You need to be confident in your skills though, because you need to make sure your alignment is good when you are done. You should take it to an alignment shop after you get it back in.

cougar/contour are identical for the rear subframe assembly [in fact my whole rear setup is off a tour].

air tools can be very helpfull for doing this. I did it myself about 4 months ago and struggled a bit with it.

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I've done it twice now (swapped out the rear subframe that is ). Took me right around 4 hrs both times for full swap.

I agree, get an alignment immediatly.

I'll put holes in him!!
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
well first time took me about a month and a half [dont ask ]. Second car took about 45 minutes.

I do highly recommend taking a wire wheel to all the bolts you plan on reinstalling [I mean mines a 7 year old car... all that stuff has taken a beating]. dont force bolts!

[I concur captain on the immediate alignment! your going to [censored] it up, and you are either a master engineer with crazy measuring abilities or you've done this a million times and you simply have a good feel for it... but 20 bucks that your alignment is waayy the [censored] off when you finish and it will save you a ton just to have it done now]

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Rayn, how long has your subframe been like that?

I'm almost postive that Jeff had the sway bar mounts welded when they broke for him a while back. Just wondering if you got the car like that or they broke after.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard