Originally posted by Fmr12B:
Originally posted by cjbaldw:

I've seen studies both ways in regard to the value of a college education. I've seen studies that show a correlation between a higher income and advanced education, particularly in professional careers of course, that require advanced education (doctors, lawyers, engineering, etc.).

You got it! Professional careers are where the payoff is. If your majoring in liberal arts I wish you luck, you will need a masters degree in order to find work and that 6yrs of education may not pay off in the end as you may well be finding your employement in retail sales or just a very low paying job.

On the other hand you take Accountants , Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, and Scientists and they are guranteed to be making good money out of college as their is a tremendous need in our society for these disciplines.

BS my uncle got his BS in psychology and went on to make big bucks as an insurance executive. started in sales, moved over to management. now i know psyche isnt liberal studies but its nowhere near related to selling insurance. and i also know people who majored in liberal studies who make good money. i know people who passed the bar and couldnt find decent paying work. same with people who have masters in psyche and so on. some fields, especially in major cities, are over-saturated.

my brother in law is a high school grad. started as a bank teller and worked his way up quickly. by 27 he was hired at merrill lynch as a stock broker making $75k plus average of $25k in commission. he left there to go back to BofA for a more cush and higher paying job. for a few months he tried going back to school because he thought it would help him move up the ladder but became too busy with work. turns out his client skills matter much more and have moved him up very far.

my "gf" is a legal immigrant from mexico. she started at blue cross as receptionist and is now a 28yo department manager pulling in $75k a year plus 15% bonus. she is currently finishing her BS in management so she can promote to director.

and these are just two of quite a few people who moved up from the bottom quickly to make good money.

my uncle baarely passed hs and now makes about $150k+ drawing pictures for Disney, and other companies. i also know a few computer people who make big bucks and dont have degrees, just lots of experience. one of them, when i met him, was an 18yo (fresh hs grad) who was hired by Prudential to help run the IT dept, making about $80k a year, starting. he had tons of networking experience since about age 12.

fmr12b, are you a CPA? just curious...i would think so if youre making that kinda money.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.