Originally posted by hsoverma:
Hello,

I just purchased an Autometer A/F gauge and all I have left to do is connect the purple wire to the Red/White wire under the hood. I wanted to check things out before I made the final connection.

I have been searching the forums on people who have already done this, and it seems our cars have narrow band o2 sensors and it is better to use a wide band. I currently have all the cats in place on my car, and I am willing to put in a wide band to get a better measurement.

So, I have a few questions which I havent seemed to find answers by searching the forums:

What is the difference between wide and narrow band? Is it the output voltage range higher or is there something else?

Can I replace a stock upstream O2 sensor with a Wide-Band? Or will this freak out the computer? If I can do this, what make/model do I purchase?

I would assume I want to get a reading off an upstream O2 sensor so this way the cats dont interefere with the true A/F reading.

Thanks for your input, and forgive my ignorance!

are you running FI? (nitrous, turbo/supercharger)

you want to mount the wideband right at the joint of the y-pipe before the flex pipe and main cat. This is granted you dont have pre-cats.

Most people use a wideband because with a wideband, if your car goes lean and lets say, you need to stop spraying nitrous it will tell you pretty much right away. By the time a narrowband shows you that you are running lean it is to late.

Also a wideband will tell you your exact A/F ratio.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.