Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
teekay Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi all...

Bad news seems to have converged on my '99 Contour (SE Sport) lately and I need to take it into a shop. However, last time I went to Ted Britt Ford they went above and beyond the usual expected dealership markup, so I'm not too keen on going back there. What shops in the Centreville (28/29) or Fairfax (50/66) areas do you guys a) trust your cars to, and b) trust to not rip you off?

BTW, if you're curious -- I've hit the "A/C only blows on high" problem, the stuck sunroof issue, and most importantly (and outside of my ability to diagnose), the check engine light has come on. Actually, on that last one, I think it's related to a weird thing that happened twice recently -- stopped at a stop sign/stop light, hit the gas, engine revs but nothing happens, then a second or so late the car jerks into motion. The first time I figured I might not've shifted fully into drive (yeah, it's an auto), but the second time... Any ideas?

Thanks a ton,
-Tom

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome .

Check Engine Light, free read of codes at Advance or Autozone. Then post the codes here (well, actually you should post in Troubleshooting).

A/c blows on high, change the resistor if not covered by 10 year/100K mile extended customer satisfaction warranty. Call the dealer to confirm.
Read this thread for more info

Sunroof gear, buy the gear and then fix it.
Sunroof contact

Issue with ATX, check/change ATFluid first.
ATFluid 3X change

Trustworthy shops I have dealt with, Midas at Exxon (corner of Lee Highway and Washington Blvd in Arlington, about 2 blocks from EFC Metro), Koons Ford in Seven Corners (free shuttle to EFC Metro). None that I know of in the Fairfax or Centreville Area.

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/10/06 04:41 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
teekay Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wow, thanks Tony!

FYI:
1) A/C resistor looks blown, I'll replace that.
2) Sunroof gear looks fine, but the cover is cracked and falling apart -- the motor might be bad (I'm going to go check) or the cover weakness might have been preventing the second gear from hitting what looks to be an on/off switch at the edge of the circuitboard. I suspect that's the problem... Anyone know where I can get just the plastic cover for a '99 Contour sunroof motor assembly?
3) I just had a 60k service a few months ago that included a transmission service, so it SHOULD be fine, but I'll do a fluid change anyway.
4) I've got the code (the light went away) and I'll post in troubleshooting. Thanks for all the help!

-Tom

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by teekay:
.... Anyone know where I can get just the plastic cover for a '99 Contour sunroof motor assembly?...

PM CEGers who are parting out their cars. Bike2112 and Fastcougar.

Click on their screennames and send them a PM

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard