There was somebody on here who had a car fire a couple of years back. It was soo sad. They had this totally mint Tahoe or Suburban that was loaded. As they were coming home from a a camping trip, the wiring in either their trailer or trailer hookup shorted and caught fire. It torched the car to the point where it was just a body with no interior or paint. Like I said, soo sad.

Eletrical fires aren't too common in cars nowadays, and they seem to happen more often in cars with a modified electrical system. This isn't a suprise to me because most wiring jobs I've seen done on cars by installers of mobile audio, trailer hitches, and other accessories that require wiring is piss poor.

I made sure when my dealer wired my mirror up that they did right. No splicing shorter wires together to make longer ones, no mechanical connectors, proper fuses and fuse holders, soldering to make connections with heat shrink tubing to cover the connections. And most importantly a new ground, not one tapped into another ground.

If the dealer or installer doesn't do work like that, then they are not working on your wiring properly and you are risking the operation of whatever they install and taking the risk for a fire to occur.