Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by JaTo:
What you will find is that some of the brightest minds in science have stated that mere chance and random events are not a logical or sufficient explaination for creation or how evolution has progressed homo sapiens vs. other species in the animal kingdom and that some sort of "designer" could be the likely explaination, given that all of them are incomplete at best.

I have no doubt there are some bright people that believe this,(intelligent people being religious has always been a mystery to me)however there are many more that do not.
Here are some statistics for you concerning religiosity in the sciences.

"Whereas 90% of the general population has a distinct belief in a personal god and a life after death, only 40% of scientists on the B.S. level favor this belief in religion and merely 10 % of those who are considered 'eminent' scientists believe in a personal god or in an afterlife."

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence%20&%20religion.htm

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by spgoode:
"Whereas 90% of the general population has a distinct belief in a personal god and a life after death, only 40% of scientists on the B.S. level favor this belief in religion and merely 10 % of those who are considered 'eminent' scientists believe in a personal god or in an afterlife."

I wonder what those statistics looked like in 1950 at the dawn of the atomic age. I would suggest that those stats have more to do with the prevailing indoctrination in our institutions of higher learning. Conversely, how many Notre Dame grads retain their beliefs. If that number matches the stats you put up, it would certainly get a more serious consideration from me.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by spgoode:

I wonder what those statistics looked like in 1950 at the dawn of the atomic age. I would suggest that those stats have more to do with the prevailing indoctrination in our institutions of higher learning. Conversely, how many Notre Dame grads retain their beliefs. If that number matches the stats you put up, it would certainly get a more serious consideration from me.

Yeah, those flimsy-minded "eminent scientists" are so easily swayed that 90% abandon their faith in college because those evil atheist professors tell them to.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You read only 1/2 of my post... Which does kinda sound silly when you put it in that context... Seems typical of some people these days, ignoring the parts of a debate they have no rational response to.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Seems typical of some people these days, ignoring the parts of a debate they have no rational response to.

Welcome to the real world

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
I would suggest that those stats have more to do with the prevailing indoctrination in our institutions of higher learning.

I ask in all seriousness how much discussion of God and the afterlife takes place in the typical BS-level bio/anthro/astro/physics/math class.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Viss1:
I would suggest that those stats have more to do with the prevailing indoctrination in our institutions of higher learning.

I ask in all seriousness how much discussion of God and the afterlife takes place in the typical BS-level bio/anthro/astro/physics/math class.

Virtually zero. And when it is mentioned, it is discussed with ridicule and derision.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
You read only 1/2 of my post... Which does kinda sound silly when you put it in that context... Seems typical of some people these days, ignoring the parts of a debate they have no rational response to.

Well, you got me there.
I have no rational response to your ponderances about how the statistics I posted would apply to 1950's scientists or Notre Dame graduates. When someone comes up with those statistics, I'll get back to ya.

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by Rara:
Virtually zero. And when it is mentioned, it is discussed with ridicule and derision.

That's what I figured. Any guesses as to whether that's changed in the last 50 years?

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Viss1:
Originally posted by Rara:

That's what I figured. Any guesses as to whether that's changed in the last 50 years?

Actually yeah. There was a study that showed people that where more very religious/conservative where more likely to breed and have more kids than people that where more agnostic/liberal. So, in 50 years, I imagine there would be more people in this country that where very religious/conservative now.

Hurray for child tax credit (where the gov't gives you MONETARY INCENTIVES TO BREED and the people that don't have kids FOOT THE BILL!!!)

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard