Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Huh?

TDF, are you really wanting evidence from Hightower GT that he has met different people from you?

If you're on an "offer me proof" crusade, how about you offer proof that the people you met were actually the same people he met?

And where were your lofty objections to use of broad brush strokes when that particular brush was being used by 99blacksesport?

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I've conceeded that there are some people like this, but not nearly so many as you allude to.

Have you ever been to a place I like to call "Middle America" ? I have lived in it for 31 years and I was raised to be one of those people that I described. And since I wasn't describing JUST the US, what kind of interactions have you had with people in/from other countries? What about different religions? Have you taken on a personal quest to research all religions and speak to many people that have these beliefs? (I did a while back)

I do agree with you that there are plenty of intelligent/wise people that practice a religion. However, once you can see the masses/lemmings, you'll see what I am talking about. It's a routine/safe repetition for them. They have also been embedded in them from birth that if they continue these routines, they will go to heaven (or equivalent)

Oh, and don't forget to fill up the offering plate!!!

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Hightower GT:
I've conceeded that there are some people like this, but not nearly so many as you allude to.

Have you ever been to a place I like to call "Middle America" ? I have lived in it for 31 years and I was raised to be one of those people that I described. And since I wasn't describing JUST the US, what kind of interactions have you had with people in/from other countries? What about different religions? Have you taken on a personal quest to research all religions and speak to many people that have these beliefs? (I did a while back)

I do agree with you that there are plenty of intelligent/wise people that practice a religion. However, once you can see the masses/lemmings, you'll see what I am talking about. It's a routine/safe repetition for them. They have also been embedded in them from birth that if they continue these routines, they will go to heaven (or equivalent)

I have been to middle America, and I point out that M.A. is not the population center of this nation. Your point of reference is skewed if you think M.A. religious attitudes are typical of most Americans.

Yes, I have been to other countries. How 'bout you? I've also had, & continue to have, long standing friendships with persons of various religions, including two of my former employers who were both Muslim men from Iran. I spoke to them extensively about Islam, Iran, & the prevailing sentiments of their friends, family, and the general population of Iran itself. Far fewer radicals than I would have thought based on TV coverage, unfortunately, the radicals are armed, organized, & instill fear in the general population. These conditions prevent the majority from speaking out for fear of having their entire families wiped out. So what gets on TV? The radicals, not the typical man on the street. There you have it in a nut shell (pun intended).

As far as research on theological radicalism, no, I have not done that. My experiences are admittedly limited compared to somebody who does research, but they are extensive enough to give me a general idea on what is going on out in the world, I think. Are there radical & wrong-headed religious people? Yes. Do they typically represent the majority view for their particular faith? In my experience, No.

I also have yet to hear any valid support for your assertions.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

Support? Sorry, I don't have signed statements from all the people I have talked to in my life. Nor have I kept plane ticket stubs from national/international trips (well, maybe one from Australia, and my most recent European trek.)

The view of your world differs from the view of my world. Your world is what you make of it; and that's not a bad thing.

And yes, "middle america" does seem to represent at least an electoral majority. Why else do you think Dubya got elected twice?

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Why else do you think Dubya got elected twice?

Because middle America has good sense in what a good leader is.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

Support? Sorry, I don't have signed statements from all the people I have talked to in my life. Nor have I kept plane ticket stubs from national/international trips (well, maybe one from Australia, and my most recent European trek.)

I was actually hoping for some synopsis of the research you said you had done, or some information pertaining to the sources you may have utilized/referenced in that research report.

Oh, well.

Now as far as 'W' is concerned, note that I live in Florida, and I voted for him... Six time in 2000 alone.

j/k, man!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:

Hahaha!!! Yeah, what he said.

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R

You know, Dubya has his good and bad points, but the real reason he has been elected twice is because he was a way better option than "the other guy" both times.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Rara:

You know, Dubya has his good and bad points, but the real reason he has been elected twice is because he was a way better option than "the other guy" both times.

I dunno...

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by spgoode:

Where is the reluctant admittance? I wouldn't consider Einstein's off-hand references to god while describing certain phonomenon, as admittance that looking to a higher power was the only answer to questions not yet answered.

Read more; Einstein and others have made more than just passing references to some "Higher Power" possibly having a hand in the design of things...

Of course many scientists dance around the topic to a degree as unquestioned "faith" in science can be the everlasting carrot in front of the donkey (much in the same light that unquestioned faith in religion is); if one can keep postulating and theorizing, then one does NOT have to admit the possibility of a completely external force having an active part in the creation of the world as we know it, even when the gathered evidence constantly points to the miraculous.

Originally posted by spgoode:
What I'm looking for is a statement like, "our ability to explain the origins of the universe are limited in these areas and can only be explained by injecting a higher power into the equation.

The fallacy there is that the more we discover, the less limited our explainations are, so you will not find that statement uttered. What you will find is that some of the brightest minds in science have stated that mere chance and random events are not a logical or sufficient explaination for creation or how evolution has progressed homo sapiens vs. other species in the animal kingdom and that some sort of "designer" could be the likely explaination, given that all of them are incomplete at best.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard