Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
It's great that you have faith that you are right but do you have proof?

Nicely played! But that goes for the "beer IS God" statement too!

To my knowlege God has not been effectively proven or dis-proven.

Cheers!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

Believing is proof enough for some people. They choose not to dig for truth. Ignorance is a way of life for MANY aspects of MANY peoples' lives.

If you blindly believe something for long enough, and are taught this from day 1, you accept this as fact. Once you start to question things is when you embark on the road to TRUE discovery.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I was talking about beer, no need to get all serious.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Hightower GT:

Believing is proof enough for some people. They choose not to dig for truth. Ignorance is a way of life for MANY aspects of MANY peoples' lives.

If you blindly believe something for long enough, and are taught this from day 1, you accept this as fact. Once you start to question things is when you embark on the road to TRUE discovery.

You speak as if faith & knowledge/science are mutually exclusive, and I say they need not be. Your first paragraph may hold water for some small portion of the faithful, but it's extreme for most as the majority are reasonable people.

Your second paragraph suggests that faith & science are necessarily contradictory, I suggest that they are not, & can even compliment each other. You seem awfully close-minded for somebody who gives the impression he seeks discovery & truth.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by JaTo:
I'm confusing neither; I initially responded to the Evolution train of thought that was being progressed here and it turned into something a little different.

Fair enough! Now back to the sentence that made my skin crawl.

Originally posted by JaTo:
Some of the greatest minds in science and mathematics this day and days gone by do reluctantly admit that most research murkily points to some "external" power having a hand in the design of things

Where is the reluctant admittance? I wouldn't consider Einstein's off-hand references to god while describing certain phonomenon, as admittance that looking to a higher power was the only answer to questions not yet answered.

What I'm looking for is a statement like, "our ability to explain the origins of the universe are limited in these areas and can only be explained by injecting a higher power into the equation.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

Beer is liquid bread, it's good for you!

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/07/06 04:53 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

Beer is liquid bread, it's good for you!

I'm just gonna go ahead and blame the double post on IE7b3 mmmkay...

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/07/06 04:54 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
... You seem awfully close-minded for somebody who gives the impression he seeks discovery & truth.

What?

My first paragraph accurately described probably more than half the people in the world (not just Christians). You also need to remember there are plenty of people that have various beliefs based solely on "My parents and church told me this, so it has to be true." That's what I was referring to. They have been programmed to not question this.

As for me being "closed-minded"; a single paragraph does not one man make. How about you not rush to judgement.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
My first paragraph accurately described probably more than half the people in the world (not just Christians).

That is an assumption, not an accurate description. If you claim it's accurate, I'd like to see backup.

You also need to remember there are plenty of people that have various beliefs based solely on "My parents and church told me this, so it has to be true." That's what I was referring to. They have been programmed to not question this.

I've conceeded that there are some people like this, but not nearly so many as you allude to.

As for me being "closed-minded"; a single paragraph does not one man make. How about you not rush to judgement.

I'm not judging, just questioning what seem to be blanket statements suggesting the majority of the faithful are religious zealots that have no use for, or tolerance of, science & the persuit of knowledge. You're painting with a broad brush and I don't like it because it would color me as well. Frankly, most of the faithful I've known (and there are likely thousands I've met & spoken with) are quite in contrast to what you describe, and I can't recall personally knowing any that are so radical as you state. My experience on the subject is quite different than the picture you portray & I'd like to see some evidence that I'm wrong.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
At least one fact cannot be disputed. Beer HAS created human life.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard