Well, since you discount Einstein and then Hoyle (a renounced Anglican that still found some form or concept of "God" in astrophysics) because they are too "old"...

I take it you've heard of Stephen Hawking; he's certainly no atheist, though agnosticism or deism has been more along the lines of what he routinely professes. There's no scoffing when he mentions the concept of God and is known to allow the existance of a Creator to enter in his train of thought...

...or is he just plain nuts?

Hugh Ross, though probably blacklisted by the some in the scientific community, holds some interesting arguments for God. I would submit that he holds a Christian view of God, but his thoughts on a Creator are quite compelling, even without the quotes on scripture.

The fact is that astrophysicists and evolutionists are hitting a "brick wall" in terms of coming to grips on what originated or started the "big bang" and that there's been a scramble by some to prop up any and every other theory (no matter how far-fetched or weak) just to avoid addressing the concept of an "external creator", while some are allowing this to enter the peripheries of the discussion. Let's face it: getting around the Laws of Thermodynamics is a complete and utter b**ch and that's pretty much what's is left for those more intent on disproving the existance of an external Creator.

Those are 4 off of the top of my head; I'll dig up a few more that I've read on.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe