Next Thread
Print Thread
E
EnvoyXL Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
I changed my temp sensor yesterday and I checked my coolant today. I dont think the engine is refilling with coolant from the resevoir. Is there a special procedure to get it to refil the engine, or do I just fill the overflow tank and it fills itself? The hose by the thermostat never seams to get pressurized.

1997 Ford Contour GL, ATX, 4 cylinder, 160,000+miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by EnvoyXL:
..just fill the overflow tank and it fills itself...

Yes.

You may also have to help the air out by massaging the hoses while leaving the cap open (with the engine running). And it might help if you leave the cap loose (so air can leave the system easier) while driving for the next day or two. Leave a bottle of 50/50 coolant in the trunk for the next few days to refill the tank.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Tony's suggestions are good. After I change T-stat, I add coolant to the tank and run the engine with its lid open. I let it run until it reaches the T-stat opening point. You just keep feeling the hose till you feel it get hot. Until the T-stat opens, the coolant bypasses the radiator and gets pumped into the fill tank. All the time.... coolant circulates in the heater circuit... just not through it till you turn the heat on. Don't worry about purging air from the heater circuit.... if it was closed, not much coolant came out.... if it was open, it's already been filled by the constant circulation of the pump. Once the huse is hot, and it runs long enough to bring the temp gauge up to your new reading, recheck the level, and cap the tank. Like Tony says, carry the jug in the trunk for a few days to be sure you didn't do the work in an odd angle and got an air lock. Some GM cars suffer this because they have high points above the coolant filler.... and in those cars you have to loosen a high hose, but the Tour doesn't appear to have any of this bother.

Gar

E
EnvoyXL Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
I tried massaging the hose with it running with the cap open and with it closed. With the heater on and with it off. I may just have to leave the cap loose tomorrow. Anybody else have some ideas? Is there a flush and fill "how to" procedure here somewhere? Where is the FAQ list I have read about?

1997 Ford Contour GL, ATX, 4 cylinder, 160,000+miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by EnvoyXL:
.. Where is the FAQ list I have read about?

Click Main Site, FAQ, ...

In addition, most Forums have a FAQ stickied on top.

Edit. And from Duratec Maintenance FAQ.
Coolant change how-to.
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=44

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/28/06 02:14 AM.

M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
If you have the original 195 degree T-stat, it will take a warm day and a long running period to get up to the temp for the T-stat to open. Follow my plan, and you'll know that you have the pump filled, and coolant flowing in the radiator circuit. The re-fill is not done till you get coolant into the radiator.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by moderndino:
If you have the original 195 degree T-stat, it will take a warm day and a long running period to get up to the temp for the T-stat to open. ..

Which is why it is a good idea to put an aspirin in the thermostat "plate" to prevent it from closing when installing a new thermostat. It will eventually dissolve after filling up the system.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Shoot Tony I didn't know that about the asprin. I woulda did that on my t-stat if I knew now I know what to do on my next t-stat change.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard