Originally posted by vpogv:
Sounds like a bearing going bad but it's not a wheel bearing, the noise is coming from inside the transmission. I heard it a week or so ago while on a 90 degree left turn on the expressway and after that it stopped. Then on Wednesday it started after exiting the freeway and continued to make the noise whether I was in gear or out of gear, whether I was pressing the brakes or not. It only stopped when the car was stopped.

Like I said I don't think it's a wheel bearing, but upon your comment I guess there is a chance it could be the axle. After searching I found this post.

But the noise/grinding is heard whenever the clutch is not depressed, upon pressing the clutch in the noise goes away. Both sides spin without any issue (even when at idle and up in the air). Upon that little insight, it could be the TOB as well.

sounds a hell of alot more like a TOB then a Diff. A Differential is either broken or working... I have never seen one show signs of "going out" In which case you mide as well just do a whole clutch job, be a good car salesman

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?