Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I don't like the idea of hard-wiring a fan. I got my Zetec down to the lower 1/3 of the operating range by installing the infamous 165 degree t-stat, some fresh coolant and a couple bottles of water-wetter.

I live in Florida & the only time the car gets beyond 1/3 is when I'm sitting in traffic. At some point in the upper 1/2 of the temp range, the high speed fan kicks on automatically. Once I get moving for a few minutes the temp drops to the lower 1/3 again.

I have heard that thermostat is actually bad for the engine... I used a 175 over the summer to aid in cooling, worked well... but when the winter came it took FOREVER to warm up the engine, it was disquesting. Plus whenever I went on trips the engine would hardly get up to the "N" or normal if I traveled at a constant speed... I put a 195 degree back in, warmed right up and when the summer came If I ran the A/C constantly (since I did anyways) the engine would only hit right past the "M" on the hottest of days.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?