Evaporative codes are becoming more and more prolific. Especially as the vehicle gets some age. Smoke tests seem to be the only real why to troubleshoot? Not by my experience but by talking to several service managers.
Might be a tool to look into cost of having to pay a dealer is getting so prohibitive while they troubleshoot such a time consuming system. Especially for those of us who try to keep vehicle longer. Alias tight wads
My daughter in-law has 2002 Caravan and I found a TSB where the Evap monitor program may be to sensitive. Dealer needs to reprogram PCM. For the .20 code which I believe is the smallest. New cap did not fix since the original physically came apart. Never seen that before. She was complaining the cap becoming harder and harder to remove so I lube the threaded area.
So now every few weeks I clear code while looking for possible other codes, check all the lines I can find. I see now why the dealers use smoke machines now.
It really be nice if the tubing was stainless steel,routing would be re-engineered, etc. and etc., if this system is so important that absolute integrity be maintained the bean counters need to comply, also? EH?
wonder what how the dealer tested? This wholesale changing out of parts ticks me off. Not cheap either.
I think our 98's only go down .40 not as sensitive as the newer stuff?
Paul

Good luck with yours!

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)