I would suspect axles before tranny first. Your problem sounds exactly like what happened when I snapped my axle.

Triple check to make sure it's not one of the axles first before you pay out the ass for a tranny rebuild.

Just bend down and look under the car while someone puts it in gear and gives it a little gas. If you notice the axle shaft is spinning, but from the CV joint on, not moving, then it would be the axle.

Someone can confirm this though as I'm no expert with this. Just speaking from my experience when it happened to me.

i could only hope its this. my friend in going to check it out for me tonight.. if this is what the problem is, then i should be able to make it to the meet on the 30th.

also, just another thing to vent about. the guys with my KKM intake are now telling me that they dont have it in stock, but they should be getting them in today.! ah!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2424902 1998.5 Contour svt #5447 of 6535 B&M short Throw Shifter KKM intake borla catback (truebendz)